Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I like this, I have some specific questions!

How do you clean the inside of a car windshield? It's so awkward and hard to reach!

Anyone know of a good way to remove minor scratches without causing more damage? I've watched a few videos, but overall I'm still a little concerned about causing more damage.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I haven't had a lot of time lately to do any real detailing, but when I did, I swore by everything Meguiar's. The whole kit 'n' caboodle.

Redtenchu said:

How do you clean the inside of a car windshield? It's so awkward and hard to reach!

Anyone know of a good way to remove minor scratches without causing more damage? I've watched a few videos, but overall I'm still a little concerned about causing more damage.
I just suck it up and use Stoner Invisible Glass with a nice microfiber, after I have wiped down the dash. Make sure when you're wiping down by the dashboard you're not smearing grease along with your towel.

As for the scratches, how long/deep are they? I'd recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or their Rubbing Compound. I don't have a machine and those do a great job just by hand.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Mequiar's Products. I use their clay bar with their auto detail mist spray when I do deep clean detail. I use to do car shows with my Fiero a lot. I've done a lot of restoration and modification to the car.

MeQuiar's has a polishing compound for taking out minor scratches and swirls that works great. When I do a full detail, I typically use a rubbing compound, then a polishing before finishing with wax. It can be an all day chore. I did a car show a few weeks ago, and that was the first detail that I've done to the Fiero this year. I've not done the Corvette at all this year...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use several products for DIY detailing including but not limited to, meguires, mothers, adams, griot garage

I usually do a full polish once a year, which Includes claying the car, full polish and wax. Most of the the time during the year I will either do a two bucket wash or run it through the auto car wash if I am short on time.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
I got really big into auto detailing about 8-9 years ago and basically solely use Griot's Garage products as I have found their products to be top notch and you can't beat their 180 day satisfaction guarantee and they have excellent customer service.

I kind of got away from it over the last year or two but do still plan to get back into it eventually. My daily driver is a lost hope as the paint has faded on it but the wife's car needs a good once over.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
kds said:
As for the scratches, how long/deep are they? I'd recommend Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or their Rubbing Compound. I don't have a machine and those do a great job just by hand.
The scratches aren't to long or deep, just plentiful. They disappear when wet, I've read that indicates the scratch is only in the topcoat layer. I'll check out the compounds, any application tips?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use Meguiar's products. I learned some good tips from the site below, especially for windows. It also motivated me to try out a clay bar.

Spare Me The Details

It can be tough to find all of the spare me the details articles, but if you scroll to the bottom of the first one you will see the second one, bottom of the second one, the third and so on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Redtenchu said:

I believe that they make a wiper that you can use rather than leaning on the passenger/driver seat to get the right angle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Microf...3202&wl11=online&wl12=144162617&wl13=&veh=sem

I have never used this personally while detailing both of our cars, but I've been told it works well for the price.

To get a streak free shine, I use a clean microfiber cloth after washing with the windshield cleaner. This removes all of the streaks.

MrMeaner said:
I use several products for DIY detailing including but not limited to, meguires, mothers, adams, griot garage

I usually do a full polish once a year, which Includes claying the car, full polish and wax. Most of the the time during the year I will either do a two bucket wash or run it through the auto car wash if I am short on time.

A clay/polish/wax is my combination too. Keeps the shine consistent all year! :thumbup:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have tried soo many products over the last 25 years its not funny. Here is what I like to use....

Cars: 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S && 2017 Audi S5 Cabriolet && 2017 Ford Explorer

Detail using a 2 bucket system

Carwash: 50/50 mix of Grots car wash and Meguiars Car wash
- one rinse bucket
- one clean bucket
- foam cannon to apply soap to car

Glass: Mothers revision hands down is the best glass cleaner on the market

Wheel tire: Meguiars 1 gallon: Detailer - wheel and tire cleaner
- use a spiral brush 12" long with 6" soft bristles for the first pass
- green handle yellow bristle brush on the tires(find at home depot or auto parts store)
- Microfiber on the last pass on each wheel

Tires: Meguiars tire gel(purple)
- This stuff doesn't come off easy
- applied with a curved applicator on the cars
- applied with a large sponge on the trucks/suv

fine scratchs: 3m perfect it
- start with hand application if that does not get it done
- step 2 is orbital buffer with a blue 3m finesse pad
- step 3 is rotary buffer with a blue 3m finesse pad
- step 4 is a rotary buffer with a wool pad

drying the car:
Ego 56v leaf blower

Post drying every wash:
Wipe the car down with Meguiars ultimate quick wax or premium quick wax

Convertible top care: Ragtop cleaner and conditioner

Interior: Mothers VLR(I am not 100% happy with the product and looking for other options)

Microfibers: The ones at Walmart, Pepboys, Target are all junk. IF I use them they are only for washing the car, you really need to find a premium thick microfiber split fiber. I ended up picking up 50 green thick microfiber towels

Cleaning Microfiber towels - do not use heat, do not use a normal soap(use MF specific detergent). If you use heat throw them away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I discovered Coatings a few years ago and they're a game-changer for me. You prep the car by washing, claying, and removing any swirls/scratches with your choice of compound/polish. Then you remove any oils and residue with a coating prep, then instead of a wax you apply a permanent coating. There are coatings for every part of a car (plastic, glass, paint, chrome). The high quality coatings last years and leave an amazing hydrophobic property to your car. I've noticed mine is significantly easier to clean, I never use the wipers... like ever. It's all around awesome. Following a coating I wash monthly with a foam cannon and rinse with a spotless water system and let it dry in the sun. My goal is not to touch the paint after the foam cannon, but I sometimes have to do a light pass with a soft mit. With my latest car I used the pinnacle black label diamond kit and I've really liked it so far

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just use Meguiar's products. Wash with Ultimate Wash and Wax every couple of weeks with microfiber mitt (two bucket system with Grit Guards) and dry with their microfiber drying towel. I wax every six weeks with Ultimate Wax and use the included applicator pad and microfiber towel. A wash and dry takes me about an hour and a wash/dry/wax takes about two hours. I also rarely use the wipers like scarlso2 mentions due to the Ultimae Wash and Wax.

A couple of months ago my BIL told me that the car I bought last year looked brand new. A few weeks ago a guy at the local hardware store said "Wow, your car is even shiny in the rain!". It's good motivation when I don't feel like waxing. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
161 Posts
95mmrenegade said:
Have you used the Meguiar glass cleaner? I really like it with a spray, wipe one towel, buff 2nd towel approach. If mother's is better I'll give it a shot.
95mmrenegade said:
drying the car:
Ego 56v leaf blower
Guessing you don't have hard water. A drying towel is a must for me, otherwise i can see water deposits.
95mmrenegade said:
Interior: Mothers VLR(I am not 100% happy with the product and looking for other options)
I really like the Meguiar's Natural Shine. I think it's the closest thing to a "like new" look. Not overly shiney and no slippery steering wheel.

·
Registered
499 Posts
scarlso2 said:
I discovered Coatings a few years ago and they're a game-changer for me. You prep the car by washing, claying, and removing any swirls/scratches with your choice of compound/polish. Then you remove any oils and residue with a coating prep, then instead of a wax you apply a permanent coating. There are coatings for every part of a car (plastic, glass, paint, chrome). The high quality coatings last years and leave an amazing hydrophobic property to your car. I've noticed mine is significantly easier to clean, I never use the wipers... like ever. It's all around awesome. Following a coating I wash monthly with a foam cannon and rinse with a spotless water system and let it dry in the sun. My goal is not to touch the paint after the foam cannon, but I sometimes have to do a light pass with a soft mit. With my latest car I used the pinnacle black label diamond kit and I've really liked it so far
I had my ZR1 coated, I am in the fence on the 911. If I knew I was going to keep it for a while it would be a no brainer but everytime I dee a Huracan, I debate about putting the 911 up for sale on rennlist. I have heard good things about pinnacle.

·
Registered
499 Posts
monty said:
95mmrenegade said:
Have you used the Meguiar glass cleaner? I really like it with a spray, wipe one towel, buff 2nd towel approach. If mother's is better I'll give it a shot.
95mmrenegade said:
drying the car:
Ego 56v leaf blower
Guessing you don't have hard water. A drying towel is a must for me, otherwise i can see water deposits.
95mmrenegade said:
I really like the Meguiar's Natural Shine. I think it's the closest thing to a "like new" look. Not overly shiney and no slippery steering wheel.
I have tried every glass cleaner on the market and my wife is my sanity check. I found revision at a local autostore on the clearance rack for 3.99. It was a noticeably better product. The wife tried it and was extremely happy, happy enough to order 2 cases if it.

I am on city water so my dry routine consists of blowing it off followed by a micrfiber and ultimate quik wax after every detail. Without a wipedown I do get some waterspots.

I will try some of the interior cleaner and report back.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Redtenchu said:

1 - 20 of 241 Posts