Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm ready to apply my pre-M for the spring. My plan was granular dimension. Simple.
However,
The label for dimension says that the product can be safely applied to new grass after it has been mowed twice. I have new grass as of 11/2017, but I haven't needed to mow much of it. The vast majority of my new grass did not grow enough to mow even once.

As a result I'm not sure what to do. One would think that 3-4 month-old grass would be established enough to take dimension. Technically, however, it hasn't had enough growth for two mows.

Any recommendations here? My back-up plan is to use mesotrione in granular form, but I was hoping to avoid fertilizer right now (fertilizer is mixed with the mesotrione in its granular form).

· Premium Member
8,207 Posts
When is Forsythia bloom in your area usually? There might be sufficient time to get two or three mows in before that.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Green said:
When is Forsythia bloom in your area usually? There might be sufficient time to get two or three mows in before that.
I don't follow it closely, but common knowledge says late February/early March. My lawn-savvy neighbors apply pre-M during the last two weeks of February.
Last year I had to mow during December. It's been so cold this year that I haven't needed to mow at all during the winter. I am expecting mid-March for the first mow (but of course, I am just guessing).

· Premium Member
8,207 Posts
I would put down something at that time, or shortly after, if you want it to prevent crabgrass as well as some of the earlier germinating weeds. If you haven't mowed yet, I would use the Tenacity, as you mentioned. At least the 3oz/Acre rate. That should last 3-5 weeks. The 4oz/A rate would be better, and would last about 4-6 weeks. Then follow-up with regular pre-M about one month later.

Checking soil temps in this case can give you additional information that might be useful.

Edit: I see you didn't actually mention liquid Tenacity. You mentioned the granular, which I assume is from Scotts starter fertilizer. Either will work for your purpose; I'm not sure about the rates for the granular off-hand, even though I've used it before. I honestly feel like waiting a bit longer for the regular pre-M if you haven't mowed is the right thing to do. Even though your grass overwintered, it might not have tillered much yet. Usually it takes mowing for that to really happen a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.