Lawn Care Forum banner

Delay glyphosate?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gm560 
#1 ·
My lawn reno schedule is supposed to start today. I have my materials ready, but mother nature giving me pause. We got a big rain yesterday in the evening. I don't think it rained overnight, but its a little wet outside. Also super humid and possible T-storms this afternoon. Whaddaya think? Go for it, or hold off til the weekend?

See less See more
#6 ·
I noticed some nutsedge in the back lawn while I was out applying the glyphosate. I think isn't known to be super effective on nutsedge. Is that right? If so, has anyone ever spiked glyphosate with sedgehammer to control at the same time? If so I will do so in the next application in that area next week.

#7 ·
gm560 said:
... If so, has anyone ever spiked glyphosate with sedgehammer to control at the same time?...
It is usually not cost effective to spike a blanket treatment to that something as localised as sedges. Just spot spray the sedge to use less product. That being said, spiking is done routinely. If it is in the entire lawn, yes it should work but do a jar test to be safe.

#8 ·
If you use Sedgehammer over the course of the Summer to zap sedges, just keep in mind the wait before seeding time. I think (from memory) it's wait at least 2 weeks after application. Check the label.

Out of curiosity, what is your schedule? Early July seems early for the burndown. You must have a lot of work planned?

#9 ·
It probably was early. But my kids were gone for the day so I figured it was a good time to spray some chemicals.

I plant to do a few rounds of glyphosate. Then aerate, topdress and level with some compost & sand. Also have a weekend I will not be around, so good to get started early. From my experience, life tends to make my projects take longer than I plan. Sucks I will have to look at a brown lawn for a few extra weeks, but hopefully it is worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.