Lawn Care Forum banner


1107 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  dfw_pilot
Are there any industry standard definitions for turf equipment? I have always been confused with what the following terms actually describe: Scarifier, verti cutter, verti slicer, de-thatcher, vertical mower, groomer, and seeder. Names are often used interchangeably and the same machine often has a different name in Europe from what it might be called in the States. Seeder reels often look identical to what another company calls a verti cutter or scarifier. In addition (for lack of a better term) the reels can vary between fixed blades, to flail blades to spring tines, to knife blades (I've seen machines with very sharp edged disk-like blades), but the name is often the same as a machine with a completely different tine/blade type. Are the machines better classified dependent on what they are intended to do rather than by what they are named? If so, is there a source with the description of those classifications?
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
And you can add the phrase "power rake" to the above list.
The manufacturers don't seem that precise in their use of language and there is so much confusion about what to call things that it gets worse in online posts and videos.
I consider a power rake to be a type of dethatcher with rotary spring tines. There are also drag rake spring tine dethatchers.

The majority of the seeders sold are just vertical cutters with a drop spreader stuck onto the front with the holes spaced the same as the discs. Real seeders have two sets of discs one powered and one to spread eagle the slots made by the powered disc and guide the seed in. The main examples are the Ryan Mataway, the similar Jacobsen AeroKing and the monster Graden seen the the "sweater vest video" The seeds need to be dropped after powered cutter not before it or they can be damaged.

Vertical cutting ranges from bed preparation with a flailed reel that really thrashes the substrate and is on a continuum with tillers, to groomers which I think are only used on greens for various reasons including leveling sand , and promoting drainage and snipping stolons and or rhizomes.
I always find the videos interesting where they are using a groomer and it has lots of thin closely spaced blades but the surface does not need dethatching. They go over it and you can hardly tell they were there. This is usually golf course greens. I think scarifier and vertical mower are more UK terms.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.