Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am located in Charleston, SC. First time posting on the forum.

I'm pretty sure I have centipede grass in my backyard. There is quite a bit of green grass but beneath almost all of it there looks to be just dead grass. It is very rough and not pleasant to walk on. I thought it might need to be thatched but I dug a piece of grass out to look at the roots and it didn't look like a thick thatch just dead grass on there. I did some thatching with a thatching rake and a lot of dead stuff came up but some live stuff too. I didn't want to get too crazy doing it and end up killing the good grass I have.

I have attached some pictures of the lawn, the cross piece i cut out, and some of the thatching I did.

Any insight or help would be appreciated, I'm pretty novice when it comes to lawn stuff but I would like a lusher lawn so my daughter can play around in it and not be poked by dried old grass.

· Premium Member
706 Posts
Welcome to TLF! I am also in Charleston - actually N. Charleston. What part of town are you in? The pics looks like Palmetto St Augustine to me. At least the pic of the patch of grass you are holding. St Aug likes to grow at 2+ inches, and does not take well to being cut low or being raked aggressively... at least that is my experience. Others - experts - can chime in.

I'd do a core aerate and pull at least 2 inch cores out. Then put down a fast acting fertilizer to get it growing. Allow it to grow a little taller and it should start to green up nicely.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So should I do anything about the dead grass below? does that need to be removed with a thatching rake or will it just decompose itself.

I'm in West Ashley, I thought it was centipede because around the edges of the walkway and patio we get those offshoots that centipede grass throws out.

I just looked it up and St Augustine seems to have similar offshoots so maybe I do have St Augustine, like I said I know almost nothing about lawn care.

· Premium Member
706 Posts
I would not dethatch it. You will do more harm than good and leave opportunity for weeds to grow in.

Core aerate will help, fertilizing and allowing it to grow will take care of the dead stuff. it looks like you cut it pretty low. Let it grow out and see how it responds. There could be other issues like fungus but with it so short it is hard to tell.

· Premium Member
706 Posts
You can rent an aerator at most general rental places - Sunbelt on Ashley Phosphate in North Charleston and the one on Clements Ferry Rd has them. If you have irrigation be sure to mark the heads, and steer clear of them while aerating

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.