Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have before and after pics. But everything I've been reading says I need to have my zoysia at 1.5" I've been keeping it at about 3-3.5. It's crazy thick so I'm going to bag it, I'm guessing it will fill the bag up 6-7 times.

The reason I want to do this, is so I can level the ground out. The soil has a lot of lumps on it and I feel like I'll be able to do a better job leveling with the grass cut short.

I won't get started on this till after the main heat of the day, around 4pm. (high of 82 today and around the same for the next 10 days) So if anybody thinks this is a terrible idea, let me know! haha. I'll update later with pictures.

My plan of attack is to lower the mower one notch at a time and mow the entire yard until i'm at 1.5.

first step.... sharpen my blade...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jayhawk said:
Yes, sharp blade :) Have you considered a dethather or vertical cutter?

What variety are we discussing?
Does the very cutter help level the yard? It's zynith zoysia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok... Here it is at just below 2 inches. 10+ bag fills, doesn't look as scalped as I was expecting! I like it nice and short like this. Wondering if I should take it all the way down to the lowest setting on the mower. I'm at the 2nd lowest now.

My mowers lowest is 1 3/8"

The darker green areas are the ryegrass that's still marbled in. Only about 6 weeks ago I'd say there was at least 2x the amount of rye in there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
southpaw748 said:
Spammage said:
This is my Palisades at 3/4".

I was going to use Palisades but the dealer was 4+ weeks out so I went with Royal.
Wow. Your guys lawns look insane. Can't wait till mine is that good. Do you have your fertilizer schedule posted anywhere? What do you use for your striping?

·
Registered
34 Posts
vanawesome said:
southpaw748 said:
Spammage said:
This is my Palisades at 3/4".

I was going to use Palisades but the dealer was 4+ weeks out so I went with Royal.
Wow. Your guys lawns look insane. Can't wait till mine is that good. Do you have your fertilizer schedule posted anywhere? What do you use for your striping?
I follow this plan from Carolina Fresh Farms.

http://carolinafreshfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/About-Zoysia.pdf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.