Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have trouble in my back yard with two huge silver maples. In the spring and fall the grass looks great after over seeding but in the summer it thins out under the trees. This year Plan A is to fertilize more often to help the grass get more nutrients in that spot under the trees and water more. If that doesn't work I'm considering throwing down some clover seed. Anyone else purposely put clover in their lawn?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think water is the biggest problem. Maple roots are close to the surface and suck up all the water. Fertilizer would be an added stress. I used to have a silver maple in the backyard. The only thing that grew under it were wild violets. We took it down because a big limb cracked for no good reason and we were afraid that in a storm there might be other limbs falling on structures. Silver maples aren't as strong as they ought to be.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Virginiagal said:
I think water is the biggest problem. Maple roots are close to the surface and suck up all the water. Fertilizer would be an added stress. I used to have a silver maple in the backyard. The only thing that grew under it were wild violets. We took it down because a big limb cracked for no good reason and we were afraid that in a storm there might be other limbs falling on structures. Silver maples aren't as strong as they ought to be.
I can agree with that. Every storm we have branches down. Even after we had it trimmed and thinned out. I'll try to focus more on water and not the fertilizer.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Virginiagal said:
...Silver maples aren't as strong as they ought to be.
They do usually make all the trees you should never plant lists. Those and Bradford Pear. Someone had a (not so) great idea to plant a Bradford Pear in most of the front yards in the older phases of my subdivision (1990's). They keep the city's chipper truck busy after every strong storm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.