Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not spamming with opening another topic, but could someone explain what exactly are the functions of cracked corn in lawn care, is any cracked corn good enough, like chicken feed, because it's super cheap, and I am not sure if it is the same thing you guys are using.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I saw a hint that it could be used as a predmergant, but am not sure if it's just a guess, or a fact. Any idea?

GrassDaddy said:
So the cracked corn feeds good stuff in the soil which then helps prevent lawn diseases. It also provides some nitrogen when it breaks down but not a lot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There's quite a few myths floating around regarding corn and its variations : cracked corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal. Cracked corn is a good source of water insoluble nitrogen and you can apply to your lawn to get a slow trickle of nitrogen to the grass as it decomposes. Make sure it's cracked good or you'll have a corn field growing in your lawn. Corn meal does not prevent or treat any fungal disease. Corn gluten meal is not an effective pre-emergent - it will just fertilize the weeds.

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,319 Posts
It was lunch time in the usa. Now I'm at the pool "watching" the 7 yr old (he is a good swimmer).

Cracked corn provides 1.65-0.65-0.4 as an organic source. You will need to apply 60lb/ksqft to get an 1lb of N/ksqft. I don't recommend doing that much and that would be expensive. I use 10lb/ksqft, but you can go up to 20lb/ksqft. Go light first until your soil can absorb it. Like many other organic sources, it provides organic matter to the soil.

Corn helps feed trichoderma which is a beneficial fungus. Based on a study in Texas in a crop of peanuts or some legume at fairly high quantities corn got the reputation as antifungal, but it really isn't. First we can apply enough of it our lawns and second it is just a way to feed the trichoderma if it there. So don't think that throwing some corn will fix and or prevent a fungal disease.

Lastly, my experience is that I like using cracked corn, but I still fight fungus just like anyone else.

More info on trichoderma here: http://waytogrow.net/trichoderma-biofungicide/

I was looking for the Texas study and couldn't find it. I found this instead, it seems well researched http://www.organiclawndiy.com/2012/07/how-to-treat-lawn-disease-organically.html?m=1

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A very good read on cornmeal and its use to fight fungus:

http://gardenprofessors.com/deconstructing-the-cornmeal-myth/

So what about those three pathogenic fungi mentioned in the Texas peanut guide? Do they like cornmeal?

Indeed they do! Published research (about 20 or so articles) shows that cornmeal (not cornmeal agar) has been used to enhance growth of Rhizoctonia fragariae, R. repens and R. solani, Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and S. homoeocarpa, and Sclerotium rolfsii. In some cases the pathogens became more virulent in the presence of cornmeal.

Cornmeal is nothing more than a carbohydrate-rich resource that can be used by many microbes. If you happen to have a lot of beneficial fungi in your soil, cornmeal will feed them. If you happen to have pathogenic species in your soil, cornmeal will feed them too. So it depends on what fungi are already living in your lawn, vegetable garden, or rose bed on whether cornmeal will help, or just make disease problems worse.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for comprehensive contributions.

@g-man I know, that's why it's funny. :)

@ everyone: I guess, after reading this, it is not important to introduce corn, but proteines, that are in the corn. As I can extrapolate from the texts.

I can not conclude that there are any benefits for me if I introduce cracked corn to my lawn, beside adding organic matter, which is good, but now I am concerned about feeding all the bacteria and that I only have the bad ones.

I thought it was an going to be an easy topic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.