Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everybody!

I'm a newbie here on the forum, however, I use this forum as a go-to source for research. Normally, I can research on this forum and come to conclusions myself, however, I am completely stumped on this. I am a new home owner, and I have Bermuda Tif419. My wife and I built the house in March of 2016 and had Bermuda put down.

Everything was going great until I aerated my yard a few weeks ago. I travel for the military as a consultant and I got was injured and needed to have surgery in which I was out of commission for 14 days. Normally I mow every 4 days and I mulch the clippings. I also water infrequently once a week to a depth of 6 inches (screw driver test to confirm). Since I was unable to maintain my turf post-aeration, I got a nice welcoming back present with an infestation of either Crabgrass or Dallisgrass. I have tried to come to a conclusion as to which one it is so I can develop a game plan to eliminate it, however, I am at a loss. I know the aeration brought up the seeds, but I didn't expect to have surgery right after I was aerating.

To me this looks like Crabgrass, but I've read it could be dallisgrass. I am losing my mind as to which one it is due to the fact that I want it gone (my house is the first one in the neighborhood so I want it to be attractive). Any thoughts on what weed species this is? I try to have an organic approach to lawn care and typically hand pull weeds, but since there are so many, I am willing to spot spray with a chemical if needed (I have access to Quinclorac) and the other RTU sprays.

Any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate the help! My apologies for only one picture, I'm not too sure how to upload them on to the post.

Tex

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j4c11 said:
Looks like crabgrass to me.
Thanks for the reply. Is the best approach to bag the clippings? Or continue to mulch but mow more frequently to prevent seed?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
Tex86 said:
Thanks for the reply. Is the best approach to bag the clippings? Or continue to mulch but mow more frequently to prevent seed?
It looks like it's at a stage where you could spray it and prevent it from going to seed. Do you maintain a pre-emergent regimen?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ware said:
Tex86 said:
It looks like it's at a stage where you could spray it and prevent it from going to seed. Do you maintain a pre-emergent regimen?
That is the single most important aspect I forgot to apply in weed maintenance. At the time i was unaware of applying a pre-e and have kicked myself in the butt ever since.

My Protocol moving forward is to use granular Balan (pre-e) in August. And again in early Feb of 2018.

I applied some Quinclorac this morning but 2 hours later we got a brief rain fall. So I'm unsure if it had time to set.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No reason you can't put pre-emergent down right now. There's more crabgrass on the way.

2 hours is probably not enough. Spray again and add a little bit of dish soap to the mix to help it stick.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
j4c11 said:
No reason you can't put pre-emergent down right now. There's more crabgrass on the way.

2 hours is probably not enough. Spray again and add a little bit of dish soap to the mix to help it stick.
Awesome. I have been going back and forth on if I should apply a Pre-E now, or wait until August, but you're right, we haven't even hit 95+ temps so I'm sure i haven't seen the majority of it. I'll place an order for the Pre-E right away if they still have it in stock. if not, do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer a granular as I feel more confident dispersing the product.

Thanks for the tip for the surfactant. It crossed my mind, but I'm not sure why I dismissed it. I'll go ahead and apply it after lunch as it's a good 89 degrees right now and sunny.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
Tex86 said:
...I'll place an order for the Pre-E right away if they still have it in stock. if not, do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer a granular as I feel more confident dispersing the product...
How much area are you working with? If you don't have a huge lawn, this CRAB-Ex granular product available at Lowe's is a decent option. The active ingredient is Prodiamine, which is what most of us here like to spray in liquid form. Prodiamine has a longer length of control than some other active ingredients. It looks like a bag treats 5k ft2, and you would also get a Nitrogen feeding out of it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ware said:
Tex86 said:
...I'll place an order for the Pre-E right away if they still have it in stock. if not, do you have any recommendations? I'd prefer a granular as I feel more confident dispersing the product...
How much area are you working with? If you don't have a huge lawn, this CRAB-Ex granular product available at Lowe's is a decent option. The active ingredient is Prodiamine, which is what most of us here like to spray in liquid form. Prodiamine has a longer length of control than some other active ingredients. It looks like a bag treats 5k ft2, and you would also get a Nitrogen feeding out of it.

Thanks for the input Ware! I'm working with 3,500 sq/ft of turf. I hear prodiamine is the best and I like the price point for that. However, since I'm applying this pre-e while weeds are still up, would the nitrogen be counterintuitive and benefit the weeds as well?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Prodiamine is my pre-em of choice. Typically it's sold as wettable granules and it has to be sprayed. It had advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
- Cost. The wettable granules are about 7 times less expensive per thousand.
- Flexibility. You can get up to 8 months of protection with 1 app, where granulars only last about 3.

Disadvantages:
- Need a sprayer to spray.
- Need a scale to make exact measurements.
- Spraying is a little more labor intensive.

Now, sticking with the granular, I hear SiteOne has granular prodiamine, so you may want to check that out. Lowe's also carries a prodiamine/ferilizer mix in my area. Another good pre-em is dithiopyr(Dimension) and HD has a Lesco 19-0-7 with Dimension.

Most importantly, get something down asap to stop the crabgrass onslaught and then you can take your time, do some research and find sources for your next application.

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
Tex86 said:
Thanks for the input Ware! I'm working with 3,500 sq/ft of turf. I hear prodiamine is the best and I like the price point for that. However, since I'm applying this pre-e while weeds are still up, would the nitrogen be counterintuitive and benefit the weeds as well?

Thanks!!
Not really - I wouldn't let the weeds disrupt my fertilizer schedule. Just spray them with the appropriate post-emergent herbicide(s) and keep moving forward. Maintaining an active pre-emergent barrier will help keep new weeds from germinating.

So you wouldn't even need a whole bag to treat 3.5k. The granular stuff is more expensive, so it can become cost-prohibitive on larger lawns, but you won't have to worry about that.

Pre-emergent, spot spraying post-emergents as needed, proper fertilization, and proper mowing is a virtuous cycle. :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome. I really appreciate the input. THe place i get my professional grade products from is out of the dithiopyr which was 36.99. So I opted to go with the Prodiamine for 60.00 with a $5.00 off coupon.

I was unable to spray today as it began raining right when I was putting my boots on. I'll spray the Quinclorac on the next sunny day.
How long should I wait until applying the prodiamine as I am unfamiliar with the product? Also, when can I re-seed area of the yard that are thing?

Thanks guys! All of this is much appreciated!

·
Administrator
12,863 Posts
$60 sounds high for a bag of granular Prodiamine, and awfully close to the price of Prodiamine 65WDG... which is a granule, but is designed to dissolve in water and spray as a liquid. Can you link the product you ordered? Just want to cross-check this one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dfw_pilot said:
Don't re-seed. You have Hybrid 419 and seeded bermuda won't mix well with it. If there are bare areas, you just follow the proper cultural practices and the 419 will quickly spread into them.
Thanks DFW! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ware said:
$60 sounds high for a bag of granular Prodiamine, and awfully close to the price of Prodiamine 65WDG... which is a granule, but is designed to dissolve in water and spray as a liquid. Can you link the product you ordered? Just want to cross-check this one.
i just saw this.

Here is the link of the purchase I bought. I was on my phone at dinner and I didn't state the full product label. It is as you said Prodiamine 65WDG.

https://www.solutionsstores.com/prodiamine-65-wdg-barricade-herbicide

Also, this may be a foolish question, but I want to prevent the spread the spread of the crabgrass and I'm unsure if i should continue to mulch the clippings, or bag 'em?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Prodiamine 65 WDG is the one you spray. It's in granular form, but must be dissolved and sprayed to apply.

Don't worry about bagging the crabgrass, once you get pre-emergent down it won't matter.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.