Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,

I'm thinking about trying out some corn gluten along with my prodiamine. I hear Corn Gluten is a solid fertilzer and also a good pre-e. I applied prodiamine about a month ago and it has helped drastically get my crabgrass under control, however, I'm wanting to help suppress the crabgrass as much as possible and fertilize as well. I figure kill two birds with one stone wouldn't be a bad idea.

Any objections or concerns I should be worried about? I would imagine spring is the best time to apply it, but how many times a year is the proper recommendation? Could I apply it is July?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Are you asking about the Corn Gluten Meal or the Prodiamine?

I guess it doesn't matter as they should be both completely safe to apply to the lawn in July. When was your last Prodiamine application and how much did you apply?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Are you asking about the Corn Gluten Meal or the Prodiamine?

I guess it doesn't matter as they should be both completely safe to apply to the lawn in July. When was your last Prodiamine application and how much did you apply?
Ah, my apologies, I was posting that by talking into my phone, I guess it didn't catch meal. You hit the nail on the head though in terms of what I was needing answered. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is it best to apply it twice a year, early in the year for the south, and late fall?

My last application of Prodiamine was at .5 ounces 1k/sqft in late May.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Tex86 said:
My last application of Prodiamine was at .5 ounces 1k/sqft in late May.
ounces or pounds? Are you using the Prodiamine 65 WDG?

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Looks like you went a little over half of the recommended yearly average so you should be getting about 7 months of control out of your last application. So you won't need to apply until December.

But yes, you usually want to split the applications into 2,3 or 4 apps depending on your needs. Just take the yearly maximum and divide it into the number of apps you wish to apply over the year. For others reading this just know that even if you missed the Spring application window and you don't have a PreM barrier down right now then RIGHT NOW is a great time to start !! :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mightyquinn said:
Looks like you went a little over half of the recommended yearly average so you should be getting about 7 months of control out of your last application. So you won't need to apply until December.

But yes, you usually want to split the applications into 2,3 or 4 apps depending on your needs. Just take the yearly maximum and divide it into the number of apps you wish to apply over the year. For others reading this just know that even if you missed the Spring application window and you don't have a PreM barrier down right now then RIGHT NOW is a great time to start !! :D
Thanks MQ, much appreciated as always!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.