Lawn Care Forum banner

coreystooks Lawn Journal

16K views 136 replies 15 participants last post by  MasterMech 
#1 · (Edited)
Wanted to just keep everything in one journal going forward. Time to get going with another season. Didn't do much at the end of the season last year as me and my wife had our first baby at the end of September. I went into dormacy at 5/8" on the reel low area and 2.5" on the big area. A couple of weeks ago I ran over the main area at 0.5" to clean it up, and then last week got the 15" Sun Joe dethatcher and tested it on half of the backyard and then scalped that section to 3/8". The Sun Joe made it extremely easy to scalp afterwards due to how much it thinned it out. I hope to get started on the rest of it sometime this week as well as getting my big area scalped. Also got to get prodiamine down ASAP the weather just hasn't cooperated with my schedule lately.

The section I did my little test scalp on

Quite a bit of rye survived the two MSM apps as well as an Alabama summer and is showing bad

Main yard as it sits now

See less See more
#91 ·
Been a busy last couple of weeks so haven't been able to get many updates. Got a playset for the backyard, we'll see how fun the mulch is to keep out of the grass. Also picked up an older Ferris belt drive to take care of the big so that I don't have to borrow the Gravely from my dad every time I need to mow. It didn't start when I got it but just need a carb cleaning and fresh gas and she runs great. Still need to get the controls adjusted just right. Did the first mow with it yesterday and it was interesting as I've never ran one of these before but I got the hang of it about halfway through.
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Wood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread

#103 ·
Got a little behind on updates. PGR and iron on the 21st and just mowing.
Sky Property Plant Building Natural landscape

Sky Fence Land lot Building Grass

Me and my buddy finally got down to Weeks to pick up the mowers we got. It’s a newer GreensKing 526a just needs some fresh fuel and greased up. This is the mower I’ve wanted from the beginning, now just trying to decide if I want to keep the eclipse or not.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive design

#105 ·
The GreensKing is pretty sweet, @MasterMech you want the eclipse? lol
Don't tease me like that. 😁

I'm interested in what you like about the GK over the Eclipse. They are pretty much the same chassis.

But yes, I might be interested if you are seriously considering letting it go. I've also considered converting my GK526a to a Honda eGX which would accomplish my goals of having a machine I can mow with in the early AM hours.

#113 ·
Got a little behind on updates. Had a skunk tear up a pretty good chunk of the front yard, figured he was digging for grubs so applied a grub killer to take care of that. Yesterday got the front and back scalped and seeded with rye.
Need to get pre-e down on the non overseeded areas but waiting on rain since the majority of that area is not irrigated. Going to be running the same proiamine and simazine combo as last year as I had really good results with that.

Skunk damage
Ecoregion Azure Road surface Asphalt Grey

Rye overseed
Sky Plant Cloud Road surface Tree

Cloud Sky Plant Tree Land lot

#114 ·
@coreystooks

Do you apply Prodiamine and Simazine at different times or the same? Do you target soil temps or dates?

This will be my first season using pre-em after the sprigging and plan to split Prodiamine and Simazine in fall and spring. I know Prodiamine should be applied once soil temps reach 70° or below in the fall and 50° or above in the spring but not sure about the Sizamine. I have heard that Sizamine should be applied about a month later then Prodiamine. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

#115 ·
@coreystooks

Do you apply Prodiamine and Simazine at different times or the same? Do you target soil temps or dates?

This will be my first season using pre-em after the sprigging and plan to split Prodiamine and Simazine in fall and spring. I know Prodiamine should be applied once soil temps reach 70° or below in the fall and 50° or above in the spring but not sure about the Sizamine. I have heard that Sizamine should be applied about a month later then Prodiamine. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
Last year I just mixed the two together and did a regular split app but after more research I'll be going half rate prodiamine now then in a month go with hald rate of prodiamine and full rate of simazine. If any poa comes up I'll do simazine again in Jan or Feb.