Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
2nd cut after getting back from vacation. Still maintaining 0.4" but about to verticut and bump it to 0.5" once there's some rain in the forecast. Did a little test verticut on my small side section and got a much cleaner cut. I need to measure but I would say the actual HOC pre-verticut was 0.5" or higher due to the thickness of the turf and the mower floating on top.

Verticut section

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Doing some irrigation work and just had to share this picture. This hole is about 12" deep and the roots in the bottom of the hole go down even further. This area is outside my fence and although it does get cut with the reel that is really all I do to it. It get's pre-e and a little bit of fertilizer but nothing else, none of this fancy root growth stuff, humic acid, carbon, nothing. And all of this in thick red clay that everyone thinks is horrible. Sorry for the little rant I just think it's crazy the money you see people spend on all these products when if you just let the grass do its thing it will do just fine.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What a difference it makes. The mower tracks better and the wider grooves really allow it to get the HOC true. The section in the picture still hasn't been verticut and it did not float one time whereas with the old roller it was dancing all over the place. Grass build up is significantly less also. I also bumped the HOC up to 0.5".

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Interesting week this week. Sprayed PGR and iron Monday, then Tuesday morning as I was almost finished mowing the front the alternator on the Jake gave out leaving it dead. Now we've gotten 4" of rain since then with the mower on the sidelines. Back to the mower, I've ordered the parts to do a full battery conversion since a new alternator is $2k, there's a a guy in the Jacobsen facebook group that has done this conversion and I'm following his method so hopefully everything turns out good. I think I'm going to go ahead and spray another dose of TNEX to try to keep it under control until I get the Jake back going.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got the battery conversion mostly done still have to tidy up the wiring but I just got it to where I could mow this morning. It works great it's very quiet all you hear is the grass being cut and a slight hum from the motors. I'm confident that it can double cut my 12K sq ft easily. Also talked to local seed supplier yesterday and they should be getting their ryegrass in any day now and prices will be much better than last year, only $114 a bag. They usually get Champion GQ but looks like they're only getting Sunrise Primo which based on what I've read is a really seed as well.

· Registered
438 Posts
Looking really nice.

You may be able to rebuild the old alternator or have someone like ozark fairways do it and recoup some money. What was the total cost of the electric conversion? Battery powered reel would allow me to mow whenever I wanted and the price would probably come in cheaper than the consumer options that don't seem to hold up to normal use.

· Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@Boy_meets_lawn well I was planning on pulling it apart just to try to see what went wrong but I can't get it apart. You have to pull the heat sink off to get to the bolts that mount it to the engine but I sweat this thing is jb welded onto it or something. All in it was around $290 and $260 of that was the battery.

@robbybobbywell it would have to be the e-flex because I think that's the only one that has the electric drive motors.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts