Lawn Care Forum banner

coreystooks Lawn Journal

16K views 136 replies 15 participants last post by  MasterMech 
#1 · (Edited)
Wanted to just keep everything in one journal going forward. Time to get going with another season. Didn't do much at the end of the season last year as me and my wife had our first baby at the end of September. I went into dormacy at 5/8" on the reel low area and 2.5" on the big area. A couple of weeks ago I ran over the main area at 0.5" to clean it up, and then last week got the 15" Sun Joe dethatcher and tested it on half of the backyard and then scalped that section to 3/8". The Sun Joe made it extremely easy to scalp afterwards due to how much it thinned it out. I hope to get started on the rest of it sometime this week as well as getting my big area scalped. Also got to get prodiamine down ASAP the weather just hasn't cooperated with my schedule lately.

The section I did my little test scalp on

Quite a bit of rye survived the two MSM apps as well as an Alabama summer and is showing bad

Main yard as it sits now

See less See more
#12 ·
Spread 50 lbs of urea on the big area after work today with some rain moving in to get it watered in good. Should be right around 1 lbs of N per 1000. Finally got to test out my newest toy, got it for $50 and just had to put a few parts on but in it for less than $100 just got to get that crack on the hopper fixed. Now I see why everyone wants one of these it's like a Cadillac compared to cheap spreaders.

#15 ·
Full property spray this morning. Ran 0.25 oz of PGR, 0.15 lbs of N, 6 oz of iron, and 0.25 oz of BIfen XTS on the main yard then ran 0.25 lbs of N on big yard as well as 0.25 oz of Bifen XTS.

Got some aerial shots to update grow in progress. We're getting so close going to keep up the nitrogen better this year and hopefully get it all the way. Also threw in a shot from July 2020 to compare.

July 2020

#20 ·
PGR, urea, iron, and Celsius this morning. Going on vacation next week so bumped the PGR rate up to 0.38oz/1000 to really slow it down. Added the Celsius to clear our some crabgrass that is coming up due to my late Pre-e application, also wanted to see if it would do anything to the few spots of ryegrass that are sticking around in the backyard.

#22 ·
2nd cut after getting back from vacation. Still maintaining 0.4" but about to verticut and bump it to 0.5" once there's some rain in the forecast. Did a little test verticut on my small side section and got a much cleaner cut. I need to measure but I would say the actual HOC pre-verticut was 0.5" or higher due to the thickness of the turf and the mower floating on top.

Verticut section

#23 ·
Doing some irrigation work and just had to share this picture. This hole is about 12" deep and the roots in the bottom of the hole go down even further. This area is outside my fence and although it does get cut with the reel that is really all I do to it. It get's pre-e and a little bit of fertilizer but nothing else, none of this fancy root growth stuff, humic acid, carbon, nothing. And all of this in thick red clay that everyone thinks is horrible. Sorry for the little rant I just think it's crazy the money you see people spend on all these products when if you just let the grass do its thing it will do just fine.

#26 ·
What a difference it makes. The mower tracks better and the wider grooves really allow it to get the HOC true. The section in the picture still hasn't been verticut and it did not float one time whereas with the old roller it was dancing all over the place. Grass build up is significantly less also. I also bumped the HOC up to 0.5".