Lawn Care Forum banner
1701 - 1720 of 1724 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
@Idaho Turf In think, nobody wants Triv in their lawn. But I am also fighting against it.

Here are a few characteristics of Triv to be sure:

- Shiny leaf underside
- On the upper side of the leaf a double groove in the middle
- The leaf gradually pointed with boat-shaped tip
- Long pointed ligule
- Light green color
- Flat rooted with stolons

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time poster, but eager to learn more about lawn care and excited to be on this journey. Previously, I relied on a lawn care service, which hasn't done a very good job, and that's why I'm starting to dip my toes into doing it myself.

Hoping for help on identifying the weeds in my lawn, which are pretty pervasive. After a bit of research, I applied Tenacity/Surfactant to the lawn, which has had good results (pics shown are about 1 week after application).

Location is the front range of Colorado.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thezedd73 said:
Hey,
Is this not just crabgrass? I've hit it with 2-4D, triclopyr, and I think , but don't quote me, tenacity and it won't die. Any help is appreciated. I've got a few of these big weeds in my yard that i can't seem to kill.

Looks like quack grass to me. Only way is non selective herbicide, use you or roundup weed and grass killer, might take a few times as it has ryzomes

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thezedd73 said:
Hey,
Is this not just crabgrass? I've hit it with 2-4D, triclopyr, and I think , but don't quote me, tenacity and it won't die. Any help is appreciated. I've got a few of these big weeds in my yard that i can't seem to kill.
Quackgrass should have rhizomes. But I don't think you'll find any when you dig them up. Because the white stripes down the middle of the leaves and the growth habit lead me to believe it is barnyard millet (Echinochloa crus-galli) or a similar form of crabgrass.

Edit: There is a millet species with a white stripe that forms very vigorous rhizomes: Sorghum halepense (Johnsongrass) Although not common in Germany, there is an informative picture in the German Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Sorghum_halepense_stolons2_(7412712596).jpg

The picture there also shows red spots on the leaves.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi All,
I recently completed a lawn renovation. I have quite a few dense areas of the pictured grassy weed pop up. This is lighter in color and grows faster than the planted tall fescue. Looking for help on identify it. Thanks!
This looks like a grass from the Poa genus. It looks like the undersides of the leaves are shiny. If there is a double groove in the center on the top of the leaf, I would lean toward Poa trivialis. It's making a comeback here, too.

1701 - 1720 of 1724 Posts