Lawn Care Forum banner
1681 - 1700 of 1724 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I posted in the wrong thread

I have this coming up in my lawn.
I have been fighting off all sorts of weeds since 2019 and more recent weed invasion from soil brought in after some work done.
This has really popped up in the past week

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright, next up for some weeds here.

I laid new sod in April, haven't applied any herbicides at this point but thinking I maybe should have applied some pre-emergent once the sod had taken hold. Dimension 2EW is on the way, should I wait until fall to get an application down or should I just apply it now and then again in the fall for the Poa?

Anyways, here are the newest weeds. Seems to have a much wider blade than the Tall Fescue and KBG. Any idea what this is?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trying to help my mother in law and these are the 3 most common weeds. Need help identifying them and how to kill them. I'm hoping for a weed killer that can handle all 3 and that will allow me to reseed in about a month. Thanks in advance!

Weed 1:

Weed 2:

Weed 3:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi .. can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. Just moved into a new home front yard seems to have a lot of this. I'm in zone 5b Central Illinois. I think the grass I have is mostly tall fescue. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ClearSky said:
Hi .. can anyone tell me what this is and how to get rid of it. Just moved into a new home front yard seems to have a lot of this. I'm in zone 5b Central Illinois. I think the grass I have is mostly tall fescue. Thanks for any help.

ClearSky,

That weed is wild violet. Most 3-way weed killers won't harm it.

The standard approach for wild violet (which worked for me) is to make two treatments of triclopyr via Clover, Chickweed, and Oxalis Killer (commonly known on this site as "CCO") according to label directions, with the two treatments spaced 14 days apart. Triclopyr is effective against most "woody" weeds, not just the common ones featured on the label.

Just as an FYI, the below photo shows a patch of mostly wild violets. There are some other weeds mixed in too, but the bulk of them are wild violets. The hand is in the image to give an idea of scale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new guy here. I need help identifying and dealing with this. This long bladed grassy looking weed just started popping up in patches in my backyard. It pulls out of the ground with no effort whatsoever. It seems to be spreading though. My yard is a mostly tall fescue mix in the st. Louis area.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Chewbacca419 said:
Hello, new guy here. I need help identifying and dealing with this. This long bladed grassy looking weed just started popping up in patches in my backyard. It pulls out of the ground with no effort whatsoever. It seems to be spreading though. My yard is a mostly tall fescue mix in the st. Louis area.
Thanks.
Looks like nutsedge to me. Spreads by underground seeds and spreads by pulling vs herbicides.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The majority of my lawn is dormant due to the excessive heat and lack of rain over the last few weeks, but this has been popping up. Best course of action to just paint it with gly while everything else is still dormant?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks, I'm new to lawn care and this forum, please don't beat me up right away.

I'm struggling with identifying what is this in my tall fescue Southern California lawn.
It started to spread out during the early summer when I cranked up irrigation to 3 times a week and quickly filled up the raw spot I have between grass and the fire pit. I'm leaning towards bentgrass, but can't confirm it for sure.

Going to overseed the lawn with the TTTF this October, so the plan is to spray tenacity in September 2-3 weeks before overseeding and then do another blanket spray right at seed time. Is it going to be the right approach?

Update:
Or I'm completely wrong and it is bermudagrass?

Another Update:
Or Couch grass? Shoot I really need some help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, everybody. I hope somebody can identify this weed. I tried the Virginia Tech weed ID tool, but it came up empty.

This weed has a very tall central leaf 2 - 3 mm wide. It grows about three times the rate of the surrounding Kentucky Bluegrass. It has a upright growth habit. It is shallow-rooted and stoloniferous. I have not observed any seedheads on this weed. I do not see any hairs on the leaves. It is exhibiting bleaching from a first Tenacity + NIS application seven days ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@2L8

2L8 said:
@Idaho Turf That looks like Poa trivialis to me. I'm a little surprised that Triv is thriving so well at your place now. Do you have wet weather at the moment or is the lawn in the shade?
Uh oh. That's not what I was wanting to hear! Our weather is very dry this summer (record low rain), but I've been irrigating the lawn. The area is quite shady under tall conifer trees. The area where the weed is thriving is very moist. The irrigation system design here was done about 15 years ago and is just so-so. Some areas get a lot more irrigation than others.

1681 - 1700 of 1724 Posts