Lawn Care Forum banner

Connors Journal

95K views 442 replies 87 participants last post by  texastanguy 
#1 ·
May 27, 2017 Put down PGR
June 21, 2017 Put down PGR with iron

#6 ·
I have been very busy in my yard this year. It is a multi year affair for me to get projects done. I am one man and am doing it myself for the most part. I get a little help from my wife. I still have many more projects planned. Time and money is what I need to get them done.

April 29, 2017 started a sprinkler zone install. I had hand watered this area for 2 years and grew grass from seed with hand watering.

May 3, 2017

May 4, 2017 did a mini leveling job

May 10, 2017 I tore out this sod around these trees and created this planter

#7 ·
On May 17, 2017 I created this planter and tore out this sod.

This is a testament that grass can grow in very poor soil conditions. When I stripped the 4 inches of sod and roots there were rocks and road base pit run material under the sod. There were large rocks and pretty much no top soil. See pictures.

#11 ·
ales_gantar said:
How much do you consider the path of the lawn mower when determening the edges?
I did not really, although I very much dislike mowing around that round flower bed. On the side, and rear that is not pictured , of the house I went with a square cut strictly for mowing purposes. I just deal with it in regards to mowing.

If I ever get a triplex then I will be changing things up a bit.

#12 ·
wardconnor said:
ales_gantar said:
How much do you consider the path of the lawn mower when determening the edges?
What is a triplex?

It still looks like you consider it, but maybe not it the consious way.
I hate the little curvy parts, that take me 10 minutes to mow, but have only about 5 sqm.

I did not really, although I very much dislike mowing around that round flower bed. On the side, and rear that is not pictured , of the house I went with a square cut strictly for mowing purposes. I just deal with it in regards to mowing.

If I ever get a triplex then I will be changing things up a bit.

#18 ·
kolbasz said:
Where did you get the ring in the fire pit? I want details on that build
I work in residential building construction and a homeowner on a remodel was getting rid of the fire pit system that you see so I seized the moment and took it for free.

Its a really simple deal. I have seen those fire rings at different ranch type supply stores around town. The bricks came from Home Depot as I added another layer of bricks from what you saw in the picture.

Easy build. Lay ring on sod. Paint inside of ring on edge so to know where to cut grass sod. Cut sod down about 6 to 10 inches down. Put sand in pit for drainage due to sprinkler running and filling up pit. Lay bricks flat with a bubble level around ring and cut last brick to size with masonry saw or space bricks evenly for no cutting. Use a 4 ft level and check bricks opposite of each other like you tighten lug nuts on a tire. Then layer more bricks for desired height. Add ring back in. Fill with more sand or gravel like was shown in the picture.

The hardest part will be to find that fire ring. Look around at farm or ranch type stores. While your looking there look for urea 46-0-0. You can not go wrong with having some urea laying around. This ring show also has a grill grate and spark screen on it as well. My wife veto'd the screen because it was super rusty. I did not want the grill grate because I figured it would always be in the way.

#21 ·
LIgrass said:
Nice edges and fire pit. Looks great ward! What's up with the weed pit next door? I would offer to reno their yard for free and throw some PRG down.
Its just that. A weed pit. He keeps saying that he does not have any money right now to put in a lawn but he seems to find money for other things motorcycles (like 4), RZRs, trailers, guns, trips, etc. I have to choose my words wisely or he gets offended. Funny thing is that his kids are always at my house on my lawn because they do not have a lawn.

He said that he does not want to put in a yard because then it creates more work and he will have to take care of it. I told him if he puts in a lawn (super minimum) I would mow it for him if he bought a good fast lawn mower like a zero turn. We will see. Time will tell.

I am thinking about planting some large bushes that will grow like 12 ft tall to block that view of the weed pit. I am sure that if I do that it will offend.

#22 ·
wardconnor said:
kolbasz said:
Where did you get the ring in the fire pit? I want details on that build
I work in residential building construction and a homeowner on a remodel was getting rid of the fire pit system that you see so I seized the moment and took it for free.

Its a really simple deal. I have seen those fire rings at different ranch type supply stores around town. The bricks came from Home Depot as I added another layer of bricks from what you saw in the picture.

Easy build. Lay ring on sod. Paint inside of ring on edge so to know where to cut grass sod. Cut sod down about 6 to 10 inches down. Put sand in pit for drainage due to sprinkler running and filling up pit. Lay bricks flat with a bubble level around ring and cut last brick to size with masonry saw or space bricks evenly for no cutting. Use a 4 ft level and check bricks opposite of each other like you tighten lug nuts on a tire. Then layer more bricks for desired height. Add ring back in. Fill with more sand or gravel like was shown in the picture.

The hardest part will be to find that fire ring. Look around at farm or ranch type stores. While your looking there look for urea 46-0-0. You can not go wrong with having some urea laying around. This ring show also has a grill grate and spark screen on it as well. My wife veto'd the screen because it was super rusty. I did not want the grill grate because I figured it would always be in the way.
That's awesome, gonna keep my errs peeled

#23 ·
I spot sprayed clover with triclopyr 24d cocktail. Sorry wizard but I like both in the same mix. Don't want to hear it.

Put down 50lbs 16-16-8 that I got free from local garden center closing its doors.

Planted 5 lodense privet bushes.

Scored about 500lb fert from said closing garden center. Could have gotten way more stuff... Fert, soil, compost, bark, etc. Went with what is pictured because he said "take what you want but don't be a pig."

#24 ·
wardconnor said:
Scored about 500lb fert from said closing garden center. Could have gotten way more stuff... Fert, soil, compost, bark, etc. Went with what is pictured because he said "take what you want but don't be a pig."
Nice! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.