Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 441 Posts

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
g-man said:
Thanks for the reply. I have more questions. I'm trying to make a decision on my HOC in Indy. Are the back and side also at 0.7 since you only mow 2 twice a week?
Sorry I forgot to answer this one as well.

As for the side, I cut with the reel mower. I cut that at the same height as the front. I just cut it less often. I will cut it tonight.

The back is about 1 time per week since I have been using PGR. The PGR really has helped a lot. I usually mow that with my Honda HHR216. I have modified the blades to mow lower with some steel flat washers. I made a video on that but have not posted it. This get moved around an inch or so with the rotary. i have never measured the bench HOC. With the washers it will go really low but really tears up the lawn if I take it too low. This going low with the rotary mower comment I just made is sure to get some troll comments. I toot my own horn when it comes to my personal lawn.

My wife does not want me to cut with the reel in the back. She wants that area to be hers for the kids to play on. She thinks if I were to mow with the reel back there then I would treat it as something that the kids can not play on. Also there is an area back there that the dogs ruin with urine. I am not going to fight my wife on this one so I just cut it with the rotary lower than most. I will cut it with the reel once every 2 weeks or so. Whenever I feel in the mood.

· Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,576 Posts
Great video Connor :thumbup: I really enjoyed it :lol:

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Today I installed new blades on my verticutter overseeder and verticut my front 7500sq ft.

I feel like the turf needs thinning out. Its so incredibly dense. I think this could be contributing to the washboarding I can not seem to shake off.

Going to sand my lawn and overseed in a few weeks.

More thinning out tomorrow.

The washboarding is fairly evident in this picture.

New delta reel blades. Man I'm so glad to have new blades. It compares to the feeling of a freshly sharpened reel or the proverbial hot knife through butter. You get the picture. Pun intended.

· Registered
149 Posts
wardconnor said:
Today I installed new blades on my verticutter overseeder and verticut my front 7500sq ft.

I feel like the turf needs thinning out. Its so incredibly dense. I think this could be contributing to the washboarding I can not seem to shake off.

Going to sand my lawn and overseed in a few weeks.

More thinning out tomorrow.

The washboarding is fairly evident in this picture.

New delta reel blades. Man I'm so glad to have new blades. It compares to the feeling of a freshly sharpened reel or the proverbial hot knife through butter. You get the picture. Pun intended.

What brand of verticut is that WC? Would you attribute the thickness from how well those overseeding a lawn? I've got my eye out for a used one to buy.

· Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
Ward, I hope you figure out the washboarding. The only times I have seen it is when I mowed too fast or cut off more than I was supposed to. Keep us updated on the results of verticutting. I agree that turf can get too thick over time and can cause problems(mowing in your case but disease is possible if too thick) and why I am a fan of disturbing it by verticutting or aerating.

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Vols_fan08 said:
What brand of verticut is that WC? Would you attribute the thickness from how well those overseeding a lawn? I've got my eye out for a used one to buy.
Vols... It's a husqvarna "commercial" SD 22 slice seeder with a delta reel with fixed blades. Commercial.... Ha ha thats just vinyl lettering in my opinion.
It has a seed hopper but I hardly ever use it. I mainly like it to verticut and open up canopy.

I have used it to overseed my lawn and yes my lawn is extremely thick. I can't say if I can attribute it to that or mowing low. I do have to admit that I've dumped PRG on this front portion of my lawn. Between the front and side yard I've put down 4-50lb bags of seed in the past 2 fall seasons. I just purchased another 2-50 lb bags of prg that I want to do a little in front and mostly side and back yard.

Pete1313 said:
Ward, I hope you figure out the washboarding. The only times I have seen it is when I mowed too fast or cut off more than I was supposed to. Keep us updated on the results of verticutting. I agree that turf can get too thick over time and can cause problems(mowing in your case but disease is possible if too thick) and why I am a fan of disturbing it by verticutting or aerating.
Thanks Pete. I just can not lower my rpms. There is a good chance that it will help but I can't do it. It would take me so much longer to mow. It already takes long enough with walk behind and front 7500. Let alone the rest of yard which I do reel mow when I feel up to it. Switching to rotary for good is not an option as of now.

Its definitely not be caused by taking off more than I should be at once. I'm mowing like 4 to 5 times a week. Last week I mowed every day that was not labeled Sunday and Tuesday. I mowed today after verticut and did not see washboarding. Maybe I'm on to something. Only reason I didn't mow on Tuesday is because it was a downpour. Got like 2 inches in like 30 minutes. It was kind of fun using a squeegee on the turf. Wife said that was a new all time low.

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I did not get any photos. I took some video with my phone but it kept on shutting down. I really need a video camera. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Today I spent all day in the lawn verti cutting rotary vacuuming and reel mowing. I'm trying to really thin it out preparing for sand hopefully next week. I want it as low as I can get it when i sand and drag.

Thinking about renting the aerator and sanding right after. Not sure if the vertical cutting and the pulling of plugs is too much or worth it. I like the idea of changing my soil profile. I have bad clay. The amount of work ahead of me is a lot if I move forward with this plan. Sand hinges on me getting my 4 wheeler back from shop. I need that to drag the sand.

I also have a social function BBQ on Friday that damages my plan. It's critical that I mow low as possible just right before the top dressing leveling. It's going to take all day Saturday and after work Friday to get it done but the BBQ is getting in the way. It all has to happen within a day. Possibly the next weekend.

· Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,867 Posts
J_nick said:
WC text is nice but where are the pictures? We need to see the aftermath of the verticuting :mrgreen:
No joke! :thumbsup:

wardconnor said:
I also have a social function BBQ on Friday that damages my plan...
There are a few times (like during a leveling project) when it is okay to be unsocial - just tell them your lawn friends on the internet said it would be okay. :lol:

I had some bobbing/washboarding going on (6-8" between peaks) and I'm almost certain it was caused by the turf density - vertical mowing made it go away.

I have found this Toro Aftercut Appearance Troubleshooting Guide helpful.

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ware said:
J_nick said:
WC text is nice but where are the pictures? We need to see the aftermath of the verticuting :mrgreen:
No joke! :thumbsup:

wardconnor said:
I also have a social function BBQ on Friday that damages my plan...
There are a few times (like during a leveling project) when it is okay to be unsocial - just tell them your lawn friends on the internet said it would be okay. :lol:
So I told my wife about my lawn friends on the internet telling me that they are okay and it's okay if I skip the social event BBQ and sand my lawn. She said I still have to to go.

So here is the proof with pictures. Video to follow at some point. Does this satisfy Y'all? (hey look I said a southern word... First time ever. (I'm not southern) )

The rotary vacuum at work. These double so well as vacuums.

Did I mention that I still have XL The Lawn Forum shirts for sale?

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
ericgautier said:
Redtenchu said:
That's cool and everything, but I mustache who is the guy in the pictures?
Yeah.. did he hire someone? :lol:
OH... Your talking about that guy in the pictures without the mustache?

He's my neighbor. He does all my lawn care for me for free. I just have to tell him what I want done. When he's done I take the pictures and post them on the internet. There are times I get a picture or video when he's working.

I made him wear that TLF shirt.

· Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,377 Posts
Verticutting, 5/8" hoc, thinking of adding sand and talking southern. Soon you will install bermuda and move to the warm season forum. :-D

Did it help with the washboarding or too soon to tell?

41 - 60 of 441 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.