2,328 Posts
That's it?.. That's the secret to an amazing lawn like yours?.. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Pete1313 said:
That's it?.. That's the secret to an amazing lawn like yours?.. :lol:
I was thinking of writing something similar when I saw this :lol: Knowing Connor there WILL be more to come :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been very busy in my yard this year. It is a multi year affair for me to get projects done. I am one man and am doing it myself for the most part. I get a little help from my wife. I still have many more projects planned. Time and money is what I need to get them done.

April 29, 2017 started a sprinkler zone install. I had hand watered this area for 2 years and grew grass from seed with hand watering.

May 3, 2017

May 4, 2017 did a mini leveling job

May 10, 2017 I tore out this sod around these trees and created this planter

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On May 17, 2017 I created this planter and tore out this sod.

This is a testament that grass can grow in very poor soil conditions. When I stripped the 4 inches of sod and roots there were rocks and road base pit run material under the sod. There were large rocks and pretty much no top soil. See pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ales_gantar said:
How much do you consider the path of the lawn mower when determening the edges?
I did not really, although I very much dislike mowing around that round flower bed. On the side, and rear that is not pictured , of the house I went with a square cut strictly for mowing purposes. I just deal with it in regards to mowing.

If I ever get a triplex then I will be changing things up a bit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
wardconnor said:
ales_gantar said:
How much do you consider the path of the lawn mower when determening the edges?
What is a triplex?

It still looks like you consider it, but maybe not it the consious way.
I hate the little curvy parts, that take me 10 minutes to mow, but have only about 5 sqm.

I did not really, although I very much dislike mowing around that round flower bed. On the side, and rear that is not pictured , of the house I went with a square cut strictly for mowing purposes. I just deal with it in regards to mowing.

If I ever get a triplex then I will be changing things up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
There's all that hard work that makes that place look great! Nice job! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
You HAVE been hard at work this year!! Nothing like sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your labor though!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kolbasz said:
Where did you get the ring in the fire pit? I want details on that build
I work in residential building construction and a homeowner on a remodel was getting rid of the fire pit system that you see so I seized the moment and took it for free.

Its a really simple deal. I have seen those fire rings at different ranch type supply stores around town. The bricks came from Home Depot as I added another layer of bricks from what you saw in the picture.

Easy build. Lay ring on sod. Paint inside of ring on edge so to know where to cut grass sod. Cut sod down about 6 to 10 inches down. Put sand in pit for drainage due to sprinkler running and filling up pit. Lay bricks flat with a bubble level around ring and cut last brick to size with masonry saw or space bricks evenly for no cutting. Use a 4 ft level and check bricks opposite of each other like you tighten lug nuts on a tire. Then layer more bricks for desired height. Add ring back in. Fill with more sand or gravel like was shown in the picture.

The hardest part will be to find that fire ring. Look around at farm or ranch type stores. While your looking there look for urea 46-0-0. You can not go wrong with having some urea laying around. This ring show also has a grill grate and spark screen on it as well. My wife veto'd the screen because it was super rusty. I did not want the grill grate because I figured it would always be in the way.

1 - 20 of 441 Posts