Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These three manufacturers seem to be the most popular mowers that folks here are picking up used. For good reason I assume.

I'm not sure how common the floating head mowers are for home use so just considering the rigid mowers do any of these makers have an advantage over the other for homeowners picking up used models? Are any of these easier to service, adjust, or get parts for?

I noticed the transport axles can be removed on the Greensmaster. Can they be removed on others?

Do any of these have a cut height up to 1.5" or can they be easily modified to reach that?

I noticed some hybrid models too with electric motors that power the reel and drive. For the homeowner in the used market that sounds like it could be great or it could unneeded complexity that would lead to high service expenses.

Any feedback is appreciated. Just trying to do the homework up front so I don't buy something and find out I'd be happier with something else later. Hopefully this will be helpful for others in the future too.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
There isn't a wrong choice, including the Barroness Greens mower.

Unless your budget is unlimited, I would go with the one that you think is the best value looking at price and condition.

If you're mechanically inclined, you should look at a few that may need work if the price is appropriate.

I think some of the 26' mowers reach 1.5' or very close.

A groomer is very nice to have. It's worth a little extra scratch if you find one, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redtenchu said:
There isn't a wrong choice, including the Barroness Greens mower.

Unless your budget is unlimited, I would go with the one that you think is the best value looking at price and condition.

If you're mechanically inclined, you should look at a few that may need work if the price is appropriate.

I think some of the 26' mowers reach 1.5' or very close.

A groomer is very nice to have. It's worth a little extra scratch if you find one, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Thanks for the info. Due to my small lawn I'm looking for an 18" or possibly 22" model but that's good info on the 26".

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some greens mowers have the ability to go higher than normal via optional front roller kits but what golf course mows the greens at .5" or higher - Greensmowers are meant to cut everyday at .250 or less

If you looking to mow 1" or higher you will need to look for a tee/collar/approach mower which is going to be a fixed head mower. most all of them have removable transport wheels. golf courses trailer then to each location, mow, then load them back on a trailer to the next spot to mow.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
The John Deere 180E and 220E can be set up to 1.42" bench HOC. I have no direct experience with them, but the QA5 cutting heads are the same as what is on my triplex. A couple nice things about them are you can have that High HOC and still have an aggressive bedknife attitude since both rollers are adjustable and it is a floating head. Also the clip frequency can be adjusted which is nice to slow down when mowing at a higher HOC.

·
Super Moderator
Bewitched KBG (38k sqft)
2,328 Posts
And welcome to TLF Michael303! Glad to see another soon to be cool season member reel mowing KBG! These mowers are not just for the warm season guys! :nod: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interested to hear opinions on this as well since I anticipate moving up from a Tru-Cut C-25 sometime in the next 12-18 months. I need to see what the local golf courses are using in the meantime so I can be sure to line up maintenance needs beyond my capacity here in the garage.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
Pete1313 said:
The John Deere 180E and 220E can be set up to 1.42" bench HOC. I have no direct experience with them, but the QA5 cutting heads are the same as what is on my triplex. A couple nice things about them are you can have that High HOC and still have an aggressive bedknife attitude since both rollers are adjustable and it is a floating head. Also the clip frequency can be adjusted which is nice to slow down when mowing at a higher HOC.
Making a mental note to ask you more about roller/bedknife options for the QA5. I have a 220E with a smooth front roller, but I just haven't had a lot of time to use the mower yet (still running my Toro GM1000).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What would it take to get extend the cut height of any of these to 1.5"? Could I just extend the front roller brackets somehow? I haven't been able to talk the wife into going super low putting green height yet. I'm hunting around trying to find some close-up pictures at the moment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here are a couple mowers I was looking at.

2010 JACOBSEN ECLIPSE 118 (This one almost seems to be priced too low)
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machines/2010-jacobsen-eclipse-118-ridged-mower-4171867

2005 TORO 800
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machines/2005-toro-800-mower-3525837

Any thoughts on either of these?

I called this place and they said it would be 300-500 to ship a pallet to CO and they can get up to three mowers on a pallet. Anyone else in CO looking for a mower?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
The Eclipse is a hybrid, like the JD E-series - gas engine with an electric reel motor. The max HOC appears to be a little under 1/2". There may be a kit available to increase that though.

On the Toro, I suspect most of the 18" reels probably have low hours, but 2005 is a little older than I would personally consider.

That's said, both seem to be priced right!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.