Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to build a push sprayer this Winter, and thought it'd be fun to create a "Community Built" sprayer with the help from you guys.

Step 1 was to obtain a frame as the building block. Had a great company donate a used Anderson's LCO-1000 frame that had a busted gear set and was heavily used.

I degreased everything, polished the stainless steel, replaced the 2 grease fittings with new 1/4" fittings, and a new cotter pin. May consider painting the rims black at a later date.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Street light Road surface

Step 2 is to obtain a tank. Below are the measurements for the frame.
Bicycle part Tape measure Office ruler Rim Ruler
Wood Line Measuring instrument Ruler Bicycle part
Tape measure Automotive tire Wood Tire Motor vehicle

The interior dimensions of the frame the tank would sit on, or in, is 16.5" wide and 13.5" depth. The distance from the axle to the top of the platform is roughly 8.5".

Option 1:
I was looking at the tanks from US Plastics: Specialty Rinse Tanks | U.S. Plastic Corp.
In fact, I have a friend that works there at the plant in Alabama, but I believe a custom designed/built tank would be cost prohibitive, to say the least.

There are other tank only options on Northerntool and other online shops.

Option 2:
Another option I've considered is just buying a tank kit off Notherntool like this: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200727337_200727337
Quick and easy, but where's the fun in that?

I'd like to keep the tank around 10 or 12 gallons with 16 being the max.
I'll also be sure to shoot a build video for future DIYers to reference.

Total invested in Step 1:
$1.91 - Lumax Gold/Silver 1/4" grease fittings (5 pack off Amazon, needed 2)
$0.68 - 1.5" cotter pins (Ace Hardware)

Please share any tank options/ideas below! Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’ll be following this post, I love these builds. I’ve seen one guy use a tank that looked a bit upright, square in shape, and then the bottom half was shaped in a cone. It’s great to get every last drop.
btw, you have a great channel, even though your warm season. I won’t hold that against you @SunnyBermuda

·
Premium Member
Centipede to Bermuda 10,000 sqf Fayetteville, NC TruCut C27 3 Nozzle Boom Sprayer Rotary Scissors
306 Posts

·
Premium Member
Centipede to Bermuda 10,000 sqf Fayetteville, NC TruCut C27 3 Nozzle Boom Sprayer Rotary Scissors
306 Posts
Great ideas! I'm going to build some mock-up tanks out of cardboard and check fit, etc. Wish me luck! 😂

@mre_man_76 I really like your build!
I love it too. Saves me so much time and money now that I’m on a 100% liquid fert spoon feed diet.

Can’t thank @Mightyquinn enough for all his hard work building my sprayer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having been there, and done that (Search my posts) my recommendation above all else is make sure you get a tank with a sump. Honestly I'd go right to Gregson-Clark and order one of their Spreader mate tanks. It's not any more expensive than buying one of the other tanks on the market and it has a built-in sump. Having built my own, and then building the Spreader mate, it is really the way to go.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Having been there, and done that (Search my posts) my recommendation above all else is make sure you get a tank with a sump. Honestly I'd go right to Gregson-Clark and order one of their Spreader mate tanks. It's not any more expensive than buying one of the other tanks on the market and it has a built-in sump. Having built my own, and then building the Spreader mate, it is really the way to go.
I cannot agree with this enough. Ultimately this is why I sold my DIY sprayer. With the slopes I have in my yard, the sprayer will just not perform the way you want without a sump. Make that your #1 feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts