Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with my front lawn (common Bermuda) established over 50 yrs ago. I'm down to 7/8" and a little apprehensive to go to much lower. I've taken my backyard (latitude) down to 1/2". Most members have hybrids and we all know they can easily take less than a 1/2". But are there other members that go below the 1" threshold with common? If so how low?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I would consider Riviera an improved common. My Riviera is only 20 days old right now. I just renovated my lawn this year. I have no idea how old my Bermuda was but it wasn't anything special. House was built it 1935 and I have no idea when the lawn was established. To me I would call it more of a grazing Bermuda than a turf type. Its basically what grows wild around here.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahartzell said:
Monday or Tuesday i'll be "scalping" to 0.500" and then raising to 0.600-0.750" or so....i can let you know if it works or if I regret it :lol:
Sweet, at least there are a few of us common guys on here. Although by next year I'll probably have Latitude in the front. It's hard for me to nuke such a good looking turf. Even though its the least desirable.

·
Registered
479 Posts
high leverage said:
ahartzell said:
Monday or Tuesday i'll be "scalping" to 0.500" and then raising to 0.600-0.750" or so....i can let you know if it works or if I regret it :lol:
Sweet, at least there are a few of us common guys on here. Although by next year I'll probably have Latitude in the front. It's hard for me to nuke such a good looking turf. Even though its the least desirable.
Yea after being on this site for a few months I wish I had some sort of alien berumda like celebration, lat, etc....something that can be mowed at 0.180", be dark dark green, and grow like kudzu sun or shade :lol:

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
ahartzell said:
Yea after being on this site for a few months I wish I had some sort of alien berumda like celebration, lat, etc....something that can be mowed at 0.180", be dark dark green, and grow like kudzu sun or shade :lol:
Was your lawn sodded? I bet you don't have common bermuda.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ware said:
ahartzell said:
I honestly have no idea what it is...I'm sure it was sodded. The house was built in 2010 or so. I just moved in last May and the lawn was a wreck (knee high weeds). But for some reason it doesn't look as good as your lawn or Red's :p

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ahartzell said:
Ware said:
ahartzell said:
I honestly have no idea what it is...I'm sure it was sodded. The house was built in 2010 or so. I just moved in last May and the lawn was a wreck (knee high weeds). But for some reason it doesn't look as good as your lawn or Red's :p
U-3 or Astro ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
J_nick said:
2010 I bet it was sodded with U3 at the least. Lawncare is a marathon not a sprint. You can't make a lawn look like theirs over night.
But it's been 3 months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly last year I let TruGreen spray it and let some lawn care company mow it. I never looked at it very much and it was a "typical lawn" no weeds, looked good, but not spectacular. I'm going for spectacular. It looks LOTS better than last year...just in the plateau phase I think...

·
Registered
244 Posts
My backyard common showed up as I killed off centipede and Bahiagrass. It was wild as wild can be and has taken completely over in a couple years.

I've treated it very mean. It's been verticut 7-8 times in 2 seasons. Every time it's come back stronger and a lot more tame. I'm kind of hearing your expectations are high, but the gentlemen you are referencing have been working hard on their lawns for several seasons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.