Lawn Care Forum banner

Common bermuda?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  RandyMan 
#1 ·
Its a lighter shade of green, and sprouts these seed heads. Is this common bermuda?

See less See more
#13 ·
social port said:
Is common Bermuda undesirable? Is it because of the lighter color?
Color can almost always be altered to appear greener. What makes common so unwated is its density. It's not very dense, so it appears "leggy" - the blades are also much fatter when compared to a hybrid. I've also found that common likes to lay more laterally in a lot cases (density comes into play in these scenarios because the ground looks bare).Then there's the fact that it grows much faster than a hybrid. Overall, It's just aesthetically different.

#14 ·
viva_oldtrafford said:
social port said:
Is common Bermuda undesirable? Is it because of the lighter color?
Color can almost always be altered to appear greener. What makes common so unwated is its density. It's not very dense, so it appears "leggy" - the blades are also much fatter when compared to a hybrid. I've also found that common likes to lay more laterally in a lot cases (density comes into play in these scenarios because the ground looks bare).Then there's the fact that it grows much faster than a hybrid. Overall, It's just aesthetically different.
This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping the density issue was due to not being able to cut short enough with a rotary.

#15 ·
I've been trying to figure out whether my front yard is hybrid or common Bermuda for a few years now. It was there when I moved in. I always assumed it was common until a neighbor told me he thinks he remembers the builder laying sod. I maintain a HOC in the lowest setting of my rotary which is about an inch.

#16 ·
I just seeded Riviera Bermuda, which I guess is considered a Common? Not sure.. it's not vegetative though like TifTuf, etc.

And the grass coming in has pretty thin blades. Has a nice look to it. But I have some normal common beside it and you can clearly tell the difference. So many cultivars out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.