981 - 1000 of 1022 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
@Green
@Butter
@Baretta
Thanks, guys! Tracking shows that it should arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited to use it. We had some dry leaves come down with a windy day the other day, as Fiona passed by out in the Atlantic. We had winds from the north, so it will come in handy to rake up pine needles from the neighbor's tree.

I finished moving plugs the other day, but I need to buy more topsoil to backfill a bunch of holes in my sod farm, and for areas I need to level. Peat moss has been hanging out in my truck for a week now, so I need to get some seed down and cover it.

Temps moderated on the cool side the last few days. Low for Friday night was 48*. High today was 68*. We just had a rainstorm come through and drop 0.33" so far, with more expected to come.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Chris LI said:
@Green
@Butter
@Baretta
Thanks, guys! Tracking shows that it should arrive on Tuesday. I'm excited to use it. We had some dry leaves come down with a windy day the other day, as Fiona passed by out in the Atlantic. We had winds from the north, so it will come in handy to rake up pine needles from the neighbor's tree.

I finished moving plugs the other day, but I need to buy more topsoil to backfill a bunch of holes in my sod farm, and for areas I need to level. Peat moss has been hanging out in my truck for a week now, so I need to get some seed down and cover it.

Temps moderated on the cool side the last few days. Low for Friday night was 48*. High today was 68*. We just had a rainstorm come through and drop 0.33" so far, with more expected to come.
Now after learning there are several other sizes, I need to try to buy one. I've been struggling all this time using the big one at an angle to rake out smaller spots for seeding. It still works but seems to bend it a bit too much. I need to figure out whether the 6 or 9 inch one is best.

By the way, I walked quite extensive Zoysia covered terrain yesterday at a funeral service. I was impressed with it. I'll add some photos at some point. It felt stiffer and more durable than cool season lawns. I don't know if it was a mix of different cultivars or what. Some blades were wide like KY-31 while some were fairly fine. Some had lots of leaf hairs on their surface while others appeared to have none. Most or all had a fairly defined crease in the middle them, but I've seen other Zoysia that doesn't have it to that extent. I'm not sure how this all compares to your particular Zoysia. Really starting to wonder if this is going to be used more in out area as temps get warmer, but then I remember it'll soon be brown for 6 months, and that even down South that's an issue for months every Winter.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
I'm catching up on my journal...

Over the course of the week, I made some fall progress:
  • Groundskeeper II rake arrived and put into use to dethatch some areas of kbg and other areas of mixed grasses
  • Kbg/Prg 60/40 seed dropped right of the RV and hellstrips on same side after raking and topsoil addition
  • Prg/Kbg 90/10 dropped left side of RV next to trees (in impossible to grow area), after raking and mini-spiking (love that spiker tool)
  • 100% tri-rye dropped in backyard in triv area and shed areas after raking
  • Spot seeded depressions filled with topsoil near removed tree germinated (100% kbg-Bewitched/Mazama/Beyond)
  • All areas covered with peat moss last night
  • No time for Tenacity in seeded areas and missed the window for Prodiamine in established areas, so apps were missed
  • Tuesday, I dropped 0.75 lbs N of urea on all areas (using up almost all jumbo-sized prills, and saving rest for liquid apps(y))
  • New urea order from Duda Energy arrived, and was mini-prills (y)
  • Need to check GDD for PGR and reapply to non-seeded areas and also avoid slow growth area under trees in backyard
@Green
@Butter
@Baretta
The Groundskeeper II is awesome!!! I'm trying to not get addicted.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
I'm catching up on my journal...

Over the course of the week, I made some fall progress:
  • Groundskeeper II rake arrived and put into use to dethatch some areas of kbg and other areas of mixed grasses
  • Kbg/Prg 60/40 seed dropped right of the RV and hellstrips on same side after raking and topsoil addition
  • Prg/Kbg 90/10 dropped left side of RV next to trees (in impossible to grow area), after raking and mini-spiking (love that spiker tool)
  • 100% tri-rye dropped in backyard in triv area and shed areas after raking
  • Spot seeded depressions filled with topsoil near removed tree germinated (100% kbg-Bewitched/Mazama/Beyond)
  • All areas covered with peat moss last night
  • No time for Tenacity in seeded areas and missed the window for Prodiamine in established areas, so apps were missed
  • Tuesday, I dropped 0.75 lbs N of urea on all areas (using up almost all jumbo-sized prills, and saving rest for liquid apps(y))
  • New urea order from Duda Energy arrived, and was mini-prills (y)
  • Need to check GDD for PGR and reapply to non-seeded areas and also avoid slow growth area under trees in backyard
@Green
@Butter
@Baretta
The Groundskeeper II is awesome!!! I'm trying to not get addicted.
Glad you like the rake. I think I need a narrower one, too, since spot seeding pre-raking is the main use of it for me. Now that Butter informed me there are multiple sizes...

Did you manage to get rid of some of the Triv? Was it green? It should be fully recovered by now; we got more rain, but if recovered here almost a month ago, and is now very easy to spot once again.

I'm contemplating still doing a bit of seeding, even though it's several weeks too late here for guaranteed results.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 ·
@Green
I believe that I took out some of the triv with the first shot of PGR. Successive apps did not knock any of it back further, but at least some appears to be gone. Great seeding weather in the 50's to 60's, with mild precipitation. On that note, 0.20" yesterday, and 0.10" so far today/tonight. We'll see if the prg overseed, with a little kbg in the area will help fill it in.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
Precipitation total updated from 0.10" to 0.16".

Yesterday-today delivered 0.44" of rain. We had a good, slow, soaking. Our drought stage was still the same on last Thursday's report (D2), but I'm sure that it will be downgraded for this Thursday's report. Rain is predicted to continue today through tomorrow, so I'll have to figure out when I can mow.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 · (Edited)
Received ~0.33" of precipitation yesterday. My weather station rain gauge is a running 24-hour count, so it is difficult to track daily amounts when is rains constantly for 5-6 days in a row. I've been trying to check at the same time each day.

It's still wet outside, so I may need to hold off on a mow today. We'll see.

According to GDD, it's still within regulation, but the urea really kicked in. First spot seeding of 100% kbg in the tree removal impressions germinated. I'm still waiting for the seeding on Friday to pop. The constant light rain has been helpful, but the unseasonably cool temperatures haven't been conducive to germination. They're up to 64* so far today, so that's helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Good to hear some of the Triv was torched fully. I'm looking forward to using the product next year with that bonus effect.

I don't think I can do any more seed here. It's just too cold and too late in the season. Hopefully the rest of what was planted over a week ago germinates soon. Plug transplants from this point, and then more seeding in March or April.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 ·
@Green
Yup, I think we're near the end of the seeding season. I probably have one more week after your last possible seeding. Last night's rain was ~0.62". Got out of work late today, so tomatoes will be the next mow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
@macattack
I definitely see a parallel between our hobbies. I love Lemon Boys, Sweet 100's and Cherokee Purples. I couldn't find a CP this year and went with a Black Krim. As promised with a cluttered counter... 🤣
Looks great Chris Li! I had a couple pepper plants, didn't do as well as other years. I need to do more research into the problem, as i have grown large red, orange and yellow bell peppers before at a previous house. The raised beds, not so much. Waiting and learning on how not to grow brussel sprouts. And my carrot harvest was pathetic, i got over 22# last year, this year maybe 4#. Despite the early heat wave which crushed the crops here, i am on month 5 of harvesting those tomatoes. Haha, cluttered counter. Its a running joke in my house.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 ·
@macattack
Thanks! Growing grass is for the eyes and growing vegetables is for the belly to fuel the body to take care of the grass! Practice makes perfect for both (and a bit of knowledge and skill). Over the years I've noticed that all sorts of variables will affect anything I grow. If you can go back and log what you did, when you did it, and what the growing conditions were at each stage, that may help you figure it out. Peppers like heat, especially hot peppers. If the temperatures were a little below average, that might be a factor. My MIL complained that she could not grow okra for several years. I told her that it needs heat and lots of sunlight. The next year, she planted some in pots on our front concrete steps, which is brutally sunny and hot, and voila, she had a nice crop. She complained about her blueberries not doing well, so I told her that they like acidic soil...added some Espoma Holly Tone and, they're doing better. You're completely right about doing some more HW.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #995 ·
Yesterday, I applied some new, nicely sized prills of urea from Duda Energy (probably = greens grade SGN), at 0.5 lbs N over the entire yard, slightly varying amounts. Seeded areas received a little less and areas under the trees received a little more. Later, I melted down that 🤬 Sunshine Harvest jumbo prilled urea in my 2 qt hand pump sprayer at 0.1 lbs N ~500 sq ft under the trees, to help fight against the tree roots robbing N. Watered almost all areas in last night (under trees ~4 hours after the app).

Today, I mulch mowed the front only at 2-5/8", because it needed it. Avoided seeded areas. 3/4 of the backyard doesn't need it. Rain is predicted tomorrow, so everything should get a good soaking.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
I love the jump from Sunshine Harvest directly to greens grade. Not messing around this time.
Thanks! Yeah, I got really lucky. I don't have the time to run to the turf supplier or storage for a full 50 lb. bag, so I looked around online for the best prices/smallest prills by photos, and I think the prills were smaller in actuality than the photos depicted. A big (y) to Duda Energy.

I have enough for one more app, and will probably switch to AS for 1-2 apps for the last ones of the season.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
Received 1.32" of precipitation yesterday from dusk to late night. I took a flashlight photo around that time, before it really came down.
Road surface Plant Grass Asphalt Groundcover

The storm brought down a bunch of leaves and the lawn is on overdrive mode right now, with very good temperatures (~70* High/low 50's Low), so I had to mow today. Double cut the front on both sides, mulching @ 2-5/8" with the Ninja blade. Back was single cut @ 2". Seeded areas are starting to fill in.
Property Plant Sky Window Leaf
Plant Road surface Asphalt Land lot Grass
Plant Grass Groundcover Shrub Landscape
Plant Green Land lot Grass Terrestrial plant
Terrestrial plant Plant Groundcover Grass Shrub
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Shrub
Grass Groundcover Plant Terrestrial plant Shrub

Plant Green Grass Land lot Terrestrial plant

Plant Plant community Green Grass Flooring

981 - 1000 of 1022 Posts