Lawn Care Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1022 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #961 ·
@M32075
From what I've read, it's a long term battle, but you can win the war. Prime time to kill it, is in the spring, when it's actively growing. Anuew seems to beat it up, but doesn't necessarily exterminate it as @Green stated. If I had bought it earlier in the season, it might have been even more effective. We'll see what happens next year. FYI-I just sprayed some more tonight. Details later.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
How spots? Solarized hellstrip areas recover? Still dead spots?

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
Green said:
Triv spots are pretty dead. Other grasses seem to be filling in, in some areas. Seeding is necessary in others. I'm sure triv is still around, but is not overly obvious. Solarized hellstrip is mostly toast. Will seed and maybe throw a few plugs in to see what they can do.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Chris LI said:
Green said:
Triv spots are pretty dead. Other grasses seem to be filling in, in some areas. Seeding is necessary in others. I'm sure triv is still around, but is not overly obvious. Solarized hellstrip is mostly toast. Will seed and maybe throw a few plugs in to see what they can do.
Ok. I was wondering about the hellstrip first and foremost. I'm not sure what happened to my previous post; the grammar got all messed up when I posted and I didn't notice because I didn't go back and read it.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
It's still very dry here, but I am seeing some recovery.

Yesterday, I finally sprayed PGR, and decided to mix it with SLS 15-0-15, instead of melting down some urea. I figured that it could use some of the goodies in the 15-0-15 (kelp/humic). Rates per gallon/M are:

Front
Anuew 0.37 oz
15-0-15 8.5 oz ~0.1 N
NIS 1 tsp

Back
Anuew 0.25 oz
15-0-15 8.5 oz ~0.1 N
NIS 1 tsp

I still couldn't find my Visi-flo 0.5 nozzle (brown), and was tired of walking super slowly with the blue nozzle, I went with my Air Injection 0.5 nozzle (brown), because I plan on some soil apps soon. Droplet size is visibly larger.

Today, as I was resting and strategizing, I ordered another brown Visi-flo 0.5 nozzle and some urea online. I don't need a 50 lb. bag, since I'm stuck with the jumbo prill Sunshine Harvest junk.

I spent the rest of the day watering heavily. Probably will be ~12 hours total. Area under the trees needed a lot of water.

Observations:
  • Some areas that didn't get as much water, performed better than others that had more water. This was behind the house, where more shade/no trees helped.
  • PRG is growing like crazy
  • KBG/TTTF is darkening, but growing slower
  • Zoysia is still growing slowly and lighter than usual, but improving

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #967 ·
Wile said:
Are you plugging the dead spots or seeding them? So the areas that had less water had more shade, but not from trees?
1. Both. I'll have to see how much I can get done tomorrow.

2. Yes. The angle of the sun is lower, so the area behind the house, has more shade cast upon it. Without interference from tree roots, the area has recovered nicely, even though it has received less water. The area under the trees is still stressed from competition from tree roots for water (and granular fertilizer). I've kept up on my foliar apps in that area for multiple reasons, that being one of them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Looking forward to the recovery. Had you gotten rain I wonder if those spots might have come back. Sounds like they were truly goners.

I ended up cutting huge mulch circles around my trees so that way I didn't have any competition for a while. I didn't know better when our sprinklers were put in and we weren't taking into account the fences and the shaded areas. I would have put those on different zones so that I could water less. Unfortunately, at one end of the zone they get straight sun and need to be watered.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #969 ·
@Wile
Thanks for the support and insight. There's so much info that I've picked up from others on TLF, that I couldn't even give full credit to all contributors. I try pass on my experiences, so others can benefit from my successes and failures. Sometimes, stuff just happens and how we mitigate the situation can make a difference. I'm Darwinistic with turfgrass, but also optimistic (and I like to experiment), so that sometimes leads to unconventional methods, and I have a best bang for the buck strategy. Anyway, I made some progress today...see the next post.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #970 ·
Today, I filled in some depressions left over from the tree takedown, and seeded them with an equal 3-way blend of Mazama, Bewitched and Beyond. I hand-raked thatch from a few areas, added some topsoil to other areas (long hellstrip by RV), leveled, and scuffed them up with my small spiker, but didn't have time to seed. I punched 40 holes in the small hellstrip that was solarized, and transferred 10 plugs so far, from my favorite spot with a 3-way mini-reno of those kbgs. I hope to finish the plug transfer and seed that area, and move on to other areas. I still have to backfill the holes in the sod farm.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
Today, I filled in some depressions left over from the tree takedown, and seeded them with an equal 3-way blend of Mazama, Bewitched and Beyond. I hand-raked thatch from a few areas, added some topsoil to other areas (long hellstrip by RV), leveled, and scuffed them up with my small spiker, but didn't have time to seed. I punched 40 holes in the small hellstrip that was solarized, and transferred 10 plugs so far, from my favorite spot with a 3-way mini-reno of those kbgs. I hope to finish the plug transfer and seed that area, and move on to other areas. I still have to backfill the holes in the sod farm.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Chris LI said:
@M32075
From what I've read, it's a long term battle, but you can win the war. Prime time to kill it, is in the spring, when it's actively growing. Anuew seems to beat it up, but doesn't necessarily exterminate it as @Green stated. If I had bought it earlier in the season, it might have been even more effective. We'll see what happens next year. FYI-I just sprayed some more tonight. Details later.
Chris I tried private messaging you I don't think it's going through. I'm thinking about getting a irrigation system do you know of anyone that will do a install in eastern Nassau county. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks Nick

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #974 ·
M32075 said:
Chris LI said:
@M32075
Chris I tried private messaging you I don't think it's going through. I'm thinking about getting a irrigation system do you know of anyone that will do a install in eastern Nassau county. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks Nick
Sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
I received an eBay offer for a Groundskeeper II rake today and placed the order. Also, filled in the 10 holes on my sod farm with topsoil. I still have 30 more holes in transplant areas that I need to transplant plugs too, and more seed to get down.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Chris LI said:
I received an eBay offer for a Groundskeeper II rake today and placed the order. Also, filled in the 10 holes on my sod farm with topsoil. I still have 30 more holes in transplant areas that I need to transplant plugs too, and more seed to get down.
Nice! This rake is arguably the single best investment I made for lawn equipment after a mower. It's almost magic with what it can do and how little effort is needed. Manually dethatching the surface stuff becomes a real option. And supposedly you can replace the tines, but I haven't had to yet.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Chris LI said:
@M32075
Nick: Best thing to do is keep the lawn a bit on the drier side as much as possible. This really helps prevent it from spreading as much, unless you get a really wet Fall or Spring. If you have irrigation installed at some point, you can figure out how to do that with the system over the parts of the season that need irrigation.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
Green said:
Chris LI said:
Nice! This rake is arguably the single best investment I made for lawn equipment after a mower. It's almost magic with what it can do and how little effort is needed. Manually dethatching the surface stuff becomes a real option. And supposedly you can replace the tines, but I haven't had to yet.
Thanks! I've done well with all sorts of raking (leaves, topsoil, thatch, pine needles, etc.) with my long handled, cushion grip steel leaf/fan rake with a Vigoro name logo on it for years, but have been interested in this rake for 2-3 years. From what I gather, it excels at pine needles and thatch, which is why I pulled the trigger on the purchase. I saw replacement tine kits on Amazon, so that was gravy, because there's nothing worse than breaking a tine on on a rake (I have 3 😁 for that reason). I just hope the G2 has a long enough handle at 55".

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Chris LI said:
Green said:
Chris LI said:
Thanks! I've done well with all sorts of raking (leaves, topsoil, thatch, pine needles, etc.) with my long handled, cushion grip steel leaf/fan rake with a Vigoro name logo on it for years, but have been interested in this rake for 2-3 years. From what I gather, it excels at pine needles and thatch, which is why I pulled the trigger on the purchase. I saw replacement tine kits on Amazon, so that was gravy, because there's nothing worse than breaking a tine on on a rake (I have 3 😁 for that reason). I just hope the G2 has a long enough handle at 55".
The handle is long enough in comparison to the rake part that someone of average height can easily grip it and use it on an angle, which is necessary for dethatching. If someone is much over 6', it's possible it might not be as comfortable or they won't get as good leverage. But personally it fits me well and I've never wished the handle was longer (or shorter).

I think you can do custom handles, though.

I haven't really touched my standard dethatching rake since getting this. Some argue that thatch is below the soil surface, and the surface stuff is not, but I don't see a reason to dig in below the surface with a machine. Other times, just getting dead grass out and not even scratching the surface is enough. But it's night and day between this and other rakes for these uses.

961 - 980 of 1022 Posts