Lawn Care Forum banner

Celsius WG Herbicide Amount?

22K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  modo brew 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am having some confusing on application rate per gallon for Celsius wg Herbicide. Label say .085 ounces per gallon on label, but the measuring cap and other instructional videos say to mix to .85ounce line on the measuring lid? There is a massive difference between .085 and .85 any help would be much appreciated!

#9 ·
Alan said:
Don't overdose. More better. Also, you do not need to soak your target weed, a spritz is enough.
+1 I also prefer to measure it in GRAMS instead of ounces as it reduces any confusion with the decimal point placement :D

#10 ·
You know, I have been subjected to "Breaking Bad" jokes. When setting up to spray, I have one of those little 0.01 gram scales and a set of graduated cylinders on a portable table. The measuring cone provided with the Celsius is for filling either a 25 gallon spot sprayer or else a 4 gallon backpack. Even when I am filling my 7 gallon backpack, I prefer to measure in grams because I am applying the low to medium rate per 1000 sq ft. Also know that one application at the highest rate does not necessarily work better than 2-3 application at the low rate. I find that 2-3 at the low rate works better.

#11 ·
Greendoc said:
You know, I have been subjected to "Breaking Bad" jokes. When setting up to spray, I have one of those little 0.01 gram scales and a set of graduated cylinders on a portable table. The measuring cone provided with the Celsius is for filling either a 25 gallon spot sprayer or else a 4 gallon backpack. Even when I am filling my 7 gallon backpack, I prefer to measure in grams because I am applying the low to medium rate per 1000 sq ft. Also know that one application at the highest rate does not necessarily work better than 2-3 application at the low rate. I find that 2-3 at the low rate works better.
After first application of low rate how long do you wait before applying second application?

#13 ·
If the low amount per K is .057 oz (2.4g), does this mean for blanket coverage or can we use less for spot coverage say 0.8 gram and use product more often? I wonder whats the best way to utilize Celsius for best results. Also does it have an residual pre emergent effect to it if broadcasted (yes i use prodiamine as well)?. Thx for those kind enough to share their knowledge.

#14 ·
TXG said:
If the low amount per K is .057 oz (2.4g), does this mean for blanket coverage or can we use less for spot coverage say 0.8 gram and use product more often? I wonder whats the best way to utilize Celsius for best results. Also does it have an residual pre emergent effect to it if broadcasted (yes i use prodiamine as well)?. Thx for those kind enough to share their knowledge.
No, you wouldn't want to do that. The low, medium and high rates are the same - it doesn't matter if you are spot spraying or blanket spraying. The only difference is you are not spraying the whole lawn when you spot spray. Everything else is the same.

The Celsius label states it has some residual activity that prevents new weed germination, depending on the specific weed, but I would not count on it as a part of my pre-emergent regimen.

#16 ·
The "g=grams" and "g=gallons" confused me at first. Nobody wants to type out "grams" and "gallons". The experience folks here (and the labels!) use an assumed short-hand based on context that confuses us newbies. But you get the hang of it quickly.

I have a dedicated "weighing cup" just for Celsius. It's actually a small plastic cap from a Calibri butane refill canister for my cigar lighters. I weighed my cup, wrote down the grams, and always subtract that from my final weight. I also use "grams per one gallon sprayed over 1000 square feet" for my units.

For my first-time-ever spray, I did the "middle" application rate just in case I screwed up either way. But I nailed it and got rid of most of my weeds without fading my Bermuda at all. So I used the "high" rate when I went back to spot spray some stubborn Virginia Buttonweed here and there. Surprisingly, the high rate also did not fade or brown my Bermuda. But it sure killed the buttonweed!

#18 ·
I have found that writing the rates on the outside of the box (certainity) or on the bottle (Celsius-low-med-high) is really helpful. The night before I can read through labels but when it comes to filling up the tank and measuring out in the driveway is two different things. In addition, make sure and account for the weight of the cup and zero out that weight.

#22 ·
gardencityboy said:
As per my understanding below is the application rate:

Low: 0.057 oz /g / 1K
Medium:0.085 oz /g / 1K
High: 0.113 oz /g /1K

Year max : 0.17 oz /g /1K

I don't use the cap, I use a weighing machine to get the exact amount.
You should not be using 0.85
Gallon is abbreviated as gal.

Please don't use the the international standard abbreviation for gram to reference liquid volume.

#23 ·
Redtwin said:
Lawn Smith said:
If I wanted to mix a half gallon for spot spraying, would I use 1.2g?
Yes... that would be for the medium rate.
Hi @Redtwin or anyone who can help me clear my understanding.

Above mentions 1.2gr is the medium rate. I thought the rates were as follows.

Low- 1.6gr
Medium 2.4gr
High 3.2gr
Yearly max 4.8

Did I go wrong somewhere?

#24 ·
GoDawgs said:
Redtwin said:
Lawn Smith said:
If I wanted to mix a half gallon for spot spraying, would I use 1.2g?
Yes... that would be for the medium rate.
Hi @Redtwin or anyone who can help me clear my understanding.

Above mentions 1.2gr is the medium rate. I thought the rates were as follows.

Low- 1.6gr
Medium 2.4gr
High 3.2gr
Yearly max 4.8

Did I go wrong somewhere?
That was for a half gallon.

#26 ·
Does anybody know if it's ok to use this (or any product) with dew on the grass? I've been spot spraying early in the mornings with adequate results but am wondering if I should wait until the dew evaporates?

The crabgrass turned yellow after about the second or third day but hasn't done much else since then. My first application was only a week ago so maybe it's working like it should and I just need to give it more time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.