Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
5.6ksqft Bewitched KBG in Fishers, IN
15,319 Posts
You have 3 different threads asking for the same weed I'd. Weed I'd is hard and most experience folks will prefer to stay quiet than to guess wrong.

Opinion. I am pretty sure it is not annual ryegrass. The images looks like crabgrass but it could be orchardgrass or foxtail. I'd don't think it is quack grass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
g-man said:
I did not finished typing before my 2yr old hit submit.

I would first start using weed b gone plus crabgrass control one. Lets hope it reacts since the alternatives are not pretty.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes thats what I was thinking too, but wanted to know what it was.
Do you think it could be annual bluegrass(poa annua)? Some people said that it cannot be crabgrass since it is growing straight?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LIgrass said:
It would probably be better if the 2 threads were merged to get all responses and pics into 1 thread. JMO.

it kinda does look like young crabgrass but with nutsedge-like growth. g-man may be correct with Orchardgrass.
Thanks for the reply.
According to thie video go to time 6.20 :
it does not seemed like orchardgrass. thought?

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
I like that video. It is very detailed. I was looking at your images and I don't see a long ligule. (Ligule = http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/grass_id/grasses.htm )

I suggest not doing paralysis by analyze. Try seed b gone, then we try tanacity and then round up if needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
g-man said:
I like that video. It is very detailed. I was looking at your images and I don't see a long ligule. (Ligule = http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/grass_id/grasses.htm )

I suggest not doing paralysis by analyze. Try seed b gone, then we try tanacity and then round up if needed.
Yes and also notice that he says that the blade has to be bent in a natural way for the orchard grass.

I did spray some speactracide with crabgrass control today, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I might have found it, mine matches this

:https://www.google.com/search?q=fox+tail+weed&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS750US750&tbm=isch&imgil=YIEO1FLiDbkwDM%253A%253B_UXrl03sML1qgM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.extension.umn.edu%25252Fgarden%25252Fdiagnose%25252Fweed%25252Fgrass%25252Ffoxtail.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=YIEO1FLiDbkwDM%253A%252C_UXrl03sML1qgM%252C_&usg=__1cyu-FfO2HkXInhruRZIgtRYsv4%3D&biw=1366&bih=638&ved=0ahUKEwjisuy6j-LUAhXC3YMKHZSRAC0QyjcIPQ&ei=EnVUWeLhBMK7jwSUo4LoAg#imgrc=TkJe182m7uUy1M:

SO its fox tail?

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
You are the best person to tell since you have it in front of you. Foxtail is treated with the same herbicide as crabgrass, so the speactracide you used should work.

With weeds, it helps to feed them some nitrogen to encourage grow and absorption of the chemicals. If your weather allows it, consider it. Also be careful with hot temperature and herbicide. Read the label and ensure you dont apply when the temps are too high since it could kill your grass too.

Lastly, it is far easier to prevent the weeds from growing than to deal with them after the infested your lawn. The images you sent show quite a bit of this weed. For next year, I recommend you apply a pre-emergence product at max rate around march. Ideally it should not have fertilizer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
g-man said:
You are the best person to tell since you have it in front of you. Foxtail is treated with the same herbicide as crabgrass, so the speactracide you used should work.

With weeds, it helps to feed them some nitrogen to encourage grow and absorption of the chemicals. If your weather allows it, consider it. Also be careful with hot temperature and herbicide. Read the label and ensure you dont apply when the temps are too high since it could kill your grass too.

Lastly, it is far easier to prevent the weeds from growing than to deal with them after the infested your lawn. The images you sent show quite a bit of this weed. For next year, I recommend you apply a pre-emergence product at max rate around march. Ideally it should not have fertilizer.
Thanks for the all the tips.
I applied some fert two days ago.
Indeed I did not know about the pre emegernts, going forward I will use them.

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
kolbasz said:
prodiamine? I am ordering the 5.5lb jug for this very reason. eliminate the need for fert with 10% dimension and allow me to do it in the fall for poa.
Yes. I like prodamine since it is really good and cheaper than dimension.

I use prodamine in August and sometimes December. It is applied in liquid form.

I use dimension in March and May. I use it because I could get it in granular form http://advancedturf.com/products/chemicals/dimension-0.25-on-dg-pro . I don't like dealing with water when it is 30F in March, otherwise I would use prodamine.

You could use the ones sold at stores as "crabgrass preventer". Ideally look for dimension to be the ai (dithiopyr). It is a compromise of adding fertilizer when the lawn might not be ready for it and also less ai in the bag. It is better than doing nothing.

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
It lasts me 2 years. I think it was $42, but I live close to this seller, so I picked it up. Site one has something similar. It stores well, so you could buy it now if you have a place to store it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.