Lawn Care Forum banner
821 - 840 of 868 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
spud said:
So I had my bed knife replaced this spring. Now I have real issues going up hills without getting stuck or slowed down with significant rear wheel slippage (on the grass).

I think that the bed knife is acting like a shovel and pushing the grass creating resistance. This did not happen with my old bed knife, maybe because of less shovel shape from years of wear and sharpening. I don't know.

Having emerald zoysia and trying to cut in the am before it gets hot with wet (dew) grass does not help...

I'm cutting at 16mm now but this seems to happen no matter the cutting height. I don't think I have excess thatch either.

Has anybody else had this issue or have any suggestions?

So I took the mower into the workshop for a quick backlap and noticed the U-bolt holding the left side of the drive wheel had slipped and the wheel was canted 20 degrees or so. I fixed it and now I'm able to go uphill again.

Just thought I'd post the good news.

·
Premium Member
Celebration and Common Bermuda 10k Sq. Ft. Cal Trimmer, Ryobi Electric, Rotary Scissors
450 Posts
I bought a used cal trimmer this past winter, and I don't have much experience with maintaining this type of equipment. I would like to lube and grease the mower, but really don't know where to start. Does anyone have a reference to proper lubrication and greasing points? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Dono1183 said:
I bought a used cal trimmer this past winter, and I don't have much experience with maintaining this type of equipment. I would like to lube and grease the mower, but really don't know where to start. Does anyone have a reference to proper lubrication and greasing points? Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help!
Which model do you have? 20" or 25"? Homeowner or pro? Can post some pics and I will know.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Dono1183 said:
I have a 20" home owner model with the Briggs&Stratton engine. Thanks @SGrabs33! Edit: (not High Cut either)
Nice machine!

Get a great gun like this. This one is overkill as far as quality and price goes but you can find a similar one in the $30 range.

LockNLube Heavy Duty Pistol-Grip Grease Gun. Includes our patented LockNLube® Grease Coupler (locks on, stays on, won't leak!) plus a high-quality 20" hose and in-line hose swivel. https://a.co/d/cG2h7QE

There is a zero grease fitting at each end of the reel. Then one on each wheel also.

Then just a spray lube like This for all the chains.

DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant https://a.co/d/dGUhiyb

Clean off air filter with a vac occasionally.

Change the oil.

Backlap to sharpen. That should cover it

·
Premium Member
Celebration and Common Bermuda 10k Sq. Ft. Cal Trimmer, Ryobi Electric, Rotary Scissors
450 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
Dono1183 said:
I have a 20" home owner model with the Briggs&Stratton engine. Thanks @SGrabs33! Edit: (not High Cut either)
Nice machine!

Get a great gun like this. This one is overkill as far as quality and price goes but you can find a similar one in the $30 range.

LockNLube Heavy Duty Pistol-Grip Grease Gun. Includes our patented LockNLube® Grease Coupler (locks on, stays on, won't leak!) plus a high-quality 20" hose and in-line hose swivel. https://a.co/d/cG2h7QE

There is a zero grease fitting at each end of the reel. Then one on each wheel also.

Then just a spray lube like This for all the chains.

DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant https://a.co/d/dGUhiyb

Clean off air filter with a vac occasionally.

Change the oil.

Backlap to sharpen. That should cover it
Thanks @SGrabs33! I replaced the air filter, and oil when I bought it. So far it's been great to work on. I recently leveled, so I'm planning on backlapping soon, now that the grass has gotten close to fully recovering.

On another note, the front roller makes a lot noise as it rolls. Is there a way to lubricate that? Or is it a case of the bearings going bad? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
SGrabs33 said:
@Dono1183 you can spray some of the chain save lube down by the bearings. It may help some but they are sealed bearings and may need replaced it the doesn't help much.
Sounds good. Thanks again, really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
First cut with the new Cal Trimmer 20" today. I'm really pleased with the cut. Can't wait to get it down to 3/4" over a few cuts.

I have two issues that I'm trying to solve:

1. There is a little grinding after I release the clutch when the reel is slowing to a stop. I adjusted the reel/bedknife a little. Slightly better, still a small amount of grinding. Should I backlap? Possibly a burr? Will it go away over time?

2. I'm having a hell of a time turning the mower with the clutch disengaged and the drive wheel up. I can maneuver it easily on concrete when on or off, but on the grass it takes some serious effort to turn it with the clutch off even when the drive wheel is up. Do I need to adjust the drive wheel height or anything?

Can't wait to dial this thing in a little bit. It cuts so much better than my rotary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: the 20" comes with the chain harness and pins to adjust the chain for the drive roller. That was nice of them. I've raised up the roller a bit. Will see if that helps with turning while the clutch is disengaged and the roller is up while on the grass.

My first mow was on the second highest setting, and I believe that influenced the whole thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: Both of my issues appear to be resolved.

For the slight grinding noise, I slightly adjusted the bed knife/reel distance and mowed when a little wet. No more grinding.

For the difficulty turning with the clutch engaged and wheel up, I raised the drive roller (mine came equipped with the new adjustable chain). Lowering the HOC helps too, but since I've been lowering gradually, I had to raise the drive roller.

Now, all is well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got mine, so no. But I've seen this store pop up several times in my searches for accessories...

https://www.singlecylinderstore.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=california%20trimmer%20blade

They seem to have all the sizes/varieties.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
AlaTex said:
I discovered my belt is tearing. Is there a non OEM belt I can purchase asap? I'm leaving town tomorrow and would prefer to get it replaced today instead of having to order one.

How old is the belt? Any idea why it's breaking?
Gates 6818 or…
4L180

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi everyone! Got my '95 commercial Cal Trimmer fixed up a couple weeks ago. All new wheels, chains, bed knife, etc.

I've used the mower extensively to cut the grass the last couple weeks with no issues. However, I was doing a scalp HOC reset to start mowing reel low. The chain on the drum roller has been slipping off. It's happening when I turn the machine around to make the next pass. I'm still learning to not tilt the machine back slightly to make the turn so I can only assume the drum is hitting the ground and causing tension/lateral force on the chain.

Any idea why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Erickson89 said:
The chain on the drum roller has been slipping off. It's happening when I turn the machine around to make the next pass. I'm still learning to not tilt the machine back slightly to make the turn so I can only assume the drum is hitting the ground and causing tension/lateral force on the chain.

Any idea why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it?
Sounds like 2 different issues. First sounds like the bolts holding the drum in place have loosened and the drum is sliding forward. Loosen these, pull back on the drum till the chain is tight, ensure it's parallel and re-tighten.

The drum dragging is due to the drum lift chain being too long. You can either use some sting zip ties, some people have used a long skinny bolt/nuts, or they make an adapter. Just take up a couple links and you should be good. It's more likely to occur when cutting at a very high HOC because the front roller/casters have caused the mower to be higher in the front (pitched back) and the drive drum no longer fully off the ground when lifted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recently bought this used, so not sure of what prior maintenance has been done, or even when the belt was last replaced.

It seems to be struggling to cut the thicker part of my yard without bogging down(recently sodded a section). I took the cover off and found that this chain seems a bit loose - does it look like it to y'all as well? If so, what is my next step? Take a link out?

FWIW, I don't think I need a clutch adjustment as it cuts just fine in the thinner part of my yard and it doesn't spin without me engaging the clutch.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ikB1YRc

821 - 840 of 868 Posts