Lawn Care Forum banner
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
I definitely agree with @situman with dethatching. It should wake the kbg right up. Funny, I just hit a couple of small patches of thinned/thatchy kbg this morning with my new Groundskeeper II rake. I'm hoping that it helps with spreading and tillering. I love that rake! I'm going out to mow in a little while and will be side discharging with a Gator blade to mulch it up along with clippings and leaves to send the OM back into the soil to break down with the relatively warm temps.
Congrats on the Groundskeeper II rake, I've read & seen a lot very good reviews about it. Thanks for the suggestion, I will give the test plot a good raking this week. I have the gator blades on both of my mowers and most of the time I have the mulch plug in so I'm returning as many nutrients as I can back into the soil.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This was an interesting test. Thanks again for doing it.

Your kbg, with only mother nature as the water source, handled its first summer quite well. Likely, its toughest test. Yes, a decent amount died off but a lot survived. I'm certain if this fall's precipitation had started earlier and been more frequent, it would be even further along with its recovery. This makes me think several strategically timed deep waterings will be enough to get my kbg, albeit dormant, through summer without much die off.

Did those trees next to the plot provide much shade? If so, roughly how many hours and what time of day?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
This was an interesting test. Thanks again for doing it.

Your kbg, with only mother nature as the water source, handled its first summer quite well. Likely, its toughest test. Yes, a decent amount died off but a lot survived. I'm certain if this fall's precipitation had started earlier and been more frequent, it would be even further along with its recovery. This makes me think several strategically timed deep waterings will be enough to get my kbg, albeit dormant, through summer without much die off.

Did those trees next to the plot provide much shade? If so, roughly how many hours and what time of day?
You're welcome, the tree line is on the east side of my property & provided shade from sunrise up until 11am. Then it was in full sun from around noon until sunset. So for the summer it got roughly 5 hours of shade in the morning & 8+ hours of full sun in the afternoon & evening. It would have fared better if that was reversed where it got afternoon & evening shade.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
I’m very curious how long it will be before your test plot gets filled back in. I’ve got Bluebank as part of my reno mix and been doing 0.5lbs of N with AMS each Saturday for the last 3 weeks and been seeing a really good response of spreading.
Yeah, Bluebank seems like a fairly aggressive spreader. I believe what's holding mine back is the lack of rain so far this fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soil test results came back today. PH, phosphorus & potassium levels have increased since last year. Still dry around central NC & no rain in the 7 day forecast. Test plot still looks the same as last week's post.

The sample ID for both tests is "TSTPL." Is the top one the older one and the bottom one the most recent? If the bottom one is the most recent, isn't it interesting that with a pH of 5.9, that no lime is recommended at all? Seems like a good pH target would be around 6.2. Also, with your potassium beyond optimum, I wonder why they're recommending the use of 5-10-5 which will add still more potassium.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Do you have a hose and sprinkler? Maybe do a test on an area of the plot to see how much supplemental watering will help your recovery.
Good idea, I do have an impact sprinkler and used it to water in my fertilizer application this weekend. I will be using it to water in my next application next weekend as well if it doesn't rain. Just today the NWS issued a statement that a tropical system is forming and forecasted to bring 1-2 inches of rain to NC on Friday & Saturday.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
The sample ID for both tests is "TSTPL." Is the top one the older one and the bottom one the most recent? If the bottom one is the most recent, isn't it interesting that with a pH of 5.9, that no lime is recommended at all? Seems like a good pH target would be around 6.2. Also, with your potassium beyond optimum, I wonder why they're recommending the use of 5-10-5 which will add still more potassium.
Bottom is the most recent, I assume one reason they aren't recommending lime is because it had only been about 9 months since the lime application. For some reason NCSU recommends a 5.8 - 6.5 pH for mineral soils. I'm happy with a 6.0 - 6.5. The fert recommendation is the NPK ratio that most homeowners will find at a big box store. I went with a 34-0-0 that I can get locally at a fertilizer plant.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Ended up getting 1.8 inches of rain from TD Nicole. It's been a warm fall here, broke some high temperature records at GSO & RDU this week. That will all change tomorrow night as a cold front moves through. High temps will be around 50 & lows around 30 for Sunday & the upcoming workweek.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
We ended up getting a good bit of rain early this morning. It's supposed to clear up this afternoon with a high around 60. The next 5 days are forecasted to be warm with highs between 60 & 65. Lows in the mid 30's to lower 40's.
Product Gesture Font Office equipment Line

161 - 180 of 185 Posts