Lawn Care Forum banner
141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
We had a cold front come through yesterday evening. When I got home from work the sky was dark and lightning just to my northwest. Pulled up the radar to see the line of precipitation headed toward me. The line of precipitation dried up once it got to my area and most of it went north of me by a few miles. So as August comes to an end I got a total of 1.39 inches for the month. Forecast looks hot and dry for the next 7 days.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
01Bullitt said:
Test plot is looking very rough right now.
Sorry to hear that. I think this will be the real test. I think it has a good chance of a full to near full recovery. Truly a good "test plot" experiment. Kbg can be very resilient, once the heat eases and natural rain occurs, as exhibited during this summer, where you had a cool/wet spell. Do you plan on doing the Fall N-blitz?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
@Chris LI Thanks, I agree this will be the real test. I'm hoping for the best that it will make a comeback like it did in July. I received a few showers yesterday evening & early this morning for a total of .23". I do plan to drop a half pound of N every 2 weeks once things cool off here. I looked at your journal this morning to see you are finally getting something in the rain gauge. Enjoy your day off and hope you get a nice gentle soaking rain.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Ended up getting a little rain over the weekend and some more today. Test plot looks somewhat better. Cold front moves through tonight and the forecast for the rest of the week is calling for highs around 80 and lows in the upper 50's.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Got a little over a tenth of an inch of rain last night from a fast moving thunderstorm. That puts the monthly total so far for September at .87". The forecast for the end of the week is to get some much needed rainfall from the remnants of hurricane Ian. I spot sprayed some common bermuda that was making a comeback from last years kill with generic mesotrione.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
moedank said:
Have your thoughts about kbg and low input maintenance changed due to the low precipitation this summer and fall? How much of a window do you think is left for it to repair and refill the dead areas without manual irrigation?
Based on my current observations I would say an all KBG lawn without irrigation here in the piedmont of NC does not look promising. Maybe a mix of KBG & TTTF is more reasonable without irrigation. I am still very anxious when I receive some decent rainfall how much of a comeback it will make before winter gets here which is usually around Thanksgiving or shortly after. So there is still some time for it to spread & repair If the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I think the stress test of no irrigation on a young lawn is not ideal. A two or 3 year old lawn, sure.
I agree, hopefully it will bounce back after we get some rain this weekend. Then next year will be a better drought test since it will be older. That is my hope anyway. The current forecast is calling for 3-7 inches of rain this weekend for Central NC with hurricane Ian. I took an overhead pic and marked it to compare when it starts filling back in.
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Pattern

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Rainfall totals so far from Ian are 3.2" and more to come as the remnants meander over NC through the weekend. I had wind gusts at 50 mph yesterday on my weather station. Looking forward to the test plot and the rest of my lawn greening back up.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
I thought about that too, but it appears it is breaking down to add organic matter to the soil. Thanks for the suggestion!
I definitely agree with @situman with dethatching. It should wake the kbg right up. Funny, I just hit a couple of small patches of thinned/thatchy kbg this morning with my new Groundskeeper II rake. I'm hoping that it helps with spreading and tillering. I love that rake! I'm going out to mow in a little while and will be side discharging with a Gator blade to mulch it up along with clippings and leaves to send the OM back into the soil to break down with the relatively warm temps.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts