Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
The drought and heat really hit it but overall I'm impressed, especially since it's not mature yet. It will handle the summer even better next year. I'm curious to see how quickly it recovers once fall hits and it starts getting pounded with fertilizer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
moedank said:
The drought and heat really hit it but overall I'm impressed, especially since it's not mature yet. It will handle the summer even better next year. I'm curious to see how quickly it recovers once fall hits and it starts getting pounded with fertilizer.
I agree, I was blown away the way it came back in July after some much needed rain. I figured I may have lost it since it was so young but it proved me wrong. The forecast is calling for chances of storms starting Friday night through early next week. I am hoping I will receive some decent rain to see if it will respond the same way it did in July.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I've got one maybe 5x5 patch of SPF-30 that I'm concerned may be dead. It was too thick in that area after seeding and I thought was struggling with some fungus. I need to snap a photo so I can have before and after in case it miraculously comes back to life. I guess I will start growing a few "plugs" with the left over seed in case that section is dead. I want to do pre-m this fall so no seeding for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
CorpRaider said:
I've got one maybe 5x5 patch of SPF-30 that I'm concerned may be dead. It was too thick in that area after seeding and I thought was struggling with some fungus. I need to snap a photo so I can have before and after in case it miraculously comes back to life. I guess I will start growing a few "plugs" with the left over seed in case that section is dead. I want to do pre-m this fall so no seeding for me.
Definitely snap a photo and keep us updated if it comes back. I'm curious and hopeful it will. :thumbup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
01Bullitt said:
Looking somewhat better after the rain but still got a ways to go. Left work today to a heavy downpour and of course nothing at my house.
Mother Nature can be so cruel. I'm in a similar spot with no rain. I'm sure someone in the downpour area you mentioned, dropped seed during the last week, and is on the flip side with too much precipitation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
705 Posts
Do you have any bare areas where you can throw a handful of seed? Guarantee you can dupe Mother Nature into thinking you truly care about those seeds and they will be washed away be a deluge... I've realized that 5-10% of the total lawn care package is superstition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
jskierko said:
Do you have any bare areas where you can throw a handful of seed? Guarantee you can dupe Mother Nature into thinking you truly care about those seeds and they will be washed away be a deluge... I've realized that 5-10% of the total lawn care package is superstition.
I don't know if he intends to reseed, at least this fall. I think the main purpose of this plot is to see how well the KBG can reestablish itself after the summer struggle while receiving minimal or equivalent care as the surrounding fescue. This helps us transition zone folks compare the pros and cons of TTTF vs KBG. It's been noted how this year isn't truly a fair comparison since the plot is newish grass, whereas the surrounding fescue is mature.

Bullitt, how do you plan to care for the plot this fall?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
705 Posts
moedank said:
jskierko said:
Do you have any bare areas where you can throw a handful of seed? Guarantee you can dupe Mother Nature into thinking you truly care about those seeds and they will be washed away be a deluge... I've realized that 5-10% of the total lawn care package is superstition.
I don't know if he intends to reseed, at least this fall. I think the main purpose of this plot is to see how well the KBG can reestablish itself after the summer struggle while receiving minimal or equivalent care as the surrounding fescue. This helps us transition zone folks compare the pros and cons of TTTF vs KBG. It's been noted how this year isn't truly a fair comparison since the plot is newish grass, whereas the surrounding fescue is mature.

Bullitt, how do you plan to care for the plot this fall?
Oh yeah, I got ya. I was just saying that's a surefire way to draw some rain if you need it. Just like washing your car when there's no rain in the forecast. It's bound to rain and spoil your hard work :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
jskierko said:
moedank said:
jskierko said:
Do you have any bare areas where you can throw a handful of seed? Guarantee you can dupe Mother Nature into thinking you truly care about those seeds and they will be washed away be a deluge... I've realized that 5-10% of the total lawn care package is superstition.
I don't know if he intends to reseed, at least this fall. I think the main purpose of this plot is to see how well the KBG can reestablish itself after the summer struggle while receiving minimal or equivalent care as the surrounding fescue. This helps us transition zone folks compare the pros and cons of TTTF vs KBG. It's been noted how this year isn't truly a fair comparison since the plot is newish grass, whereas the surrounding fescue is mature.

Bullitt, how do you plan to care for the plot this fall?
Oh yeah, I got ya. I was just saying that's a surefire way to draw some rain if you need it. Just like washing your car when there's no rain in the forecast. It's bound to rain and spoil your hard work :D
Lol, you got that right. Maybe I need to wash my car more often and throw some seed down in the yard!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I wanted to share these pics for comparison of the test plot. The test plot is located near a tree line so it's probably the driest part of my lawn. The following spot is where I killed a patch of poa triv. & seeded with Bluebank KBG before I seeded the test plot last year. See 1st page of my journal on the 8/25/21 post. This spot is in the part of my lawn that stays moist the longest. As you can see this spot is thriving along with the fescue.


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
...and missing you, of course! I'm in the same boat and feel your pain. I like seeing folks like you successfully cultivate kbg in NC. Although, I'm much further north from you, I struggle to grow kbg, because I live across the street from a shopping center (on the north side) which is along a 6-lane highway with two-lane service drives on each side (10 lanes total). Prevailing winds blow across the highway and shopping center. That's a lot of asphalt and concrete, which fuel a blast furnace, along with natural high humidity.

Half my roots are from SW Virginia, and my sister went to NC State, so there's a little added camaraderie.

I hope we all (who need it) get some rain soon, and folks living in flooded areas dry out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
@Chris LI I hope you guys up north get some rain soon, y'all are in a drought situation worse than we are in NC. Half of my roots are also from SW Virginia, Russell county to be exact. I go and visit them a few times a year. I love that area, it's beautiful & it's like stepping back in time because it's so peaceful. What county or area is your family from in SW Virginia?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Pulaski County. The last time I visited my Great-uncle was in April of '21. It was great to get back down there because I hadn't visited in a few years. My Dad was always homesick, and I understood why.
 
121 - 140 of 185 Posts
Top