Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to do a 1,000 sq ft test plot reno in my back yard this fall. I have decided to go with a Bluebank KBG mono.
I measured out a 40 X 25 area of the back yard, cut from 4 inches down to 2 inches using an old push mower with bagger & sprayed glyphosate about 2 weeks ago. Last year I became curious about KBG and reading through posts about folks growing it in the transition zone. I actually mixed some in with my TTTF seed when I overseeded the back yard last fall. So far the KBG is doing great and actually has less fungus than the fescue. I plan on another round of glyphosate this afternoon and dethatch it in in a couple of weeks. Target seed down is early to mid September weather dependant.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally saw evidence of germination today but was shocked it was in one of the containers planted on 8/13. Still nothing in the other container planted on 8/7 with the peat pellets. I'm hoping I didn't get a bad bag of seed. That's why I planted more on 8/13. Also took the dethatcher around some more to get the seed bed good and loose.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CorpRaider said:
Still nothing in the 8/7 peat pellets?

Following!
Nothing as of this morning, I planted one seed per pellet though. I thought I would have at least a couple come up by now. In the containers I planted with potting soil I spread about 8 seeds per container. Only 1 sprout in one container and 2 sprouts in the other so far. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all the germination so far out of 8 seeds planted in each container. Nothing in the peat pellets. I'm beginning to wonder if I either need to seed 5# per thousand instead of the 2.5 or 3 that is recommended or order more seed from a different company. What would y'all do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to uncover a seed in one of the peat pellets today. It appears to be swollen like it's trying to germinate, so I put it back in and covered it up. I also threw some seed down in an area I killed some poa trivialis back in late May. I loosened the soil with a garden weasel, threw seed down and covered with some peat based starting mix. I walked on it to improve seed to soil contact.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More sprouts visible this morning. Temps are starting to warm up this week to low 90's for a few days. Going to continue watering 4 times a day. I bought a wyze smart plug & a rain bird irrigation valve from HD a week ago so I can water the test plot from my smartphone.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before I put the seed down on 9/3, I used my new pro plugger to pull 4" cores and dropped them off at my county extension office. The pro plugger was a game changer in collecting samples. I also plan to use it to transplant some KBG plugs next year. I just got the results back from the state lab today. I plan on using a balanced fertilizer in the fall and adding lime in the winter.

 
1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Top