Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Short tailed shrew. I find them dead under snow piles that slide off the roof and running around the driveway when the ground is snow covered.
thank you. Any idea how I get rid of them. I don’t care about the summer, but when I put my ice rink up, I don’t want them eating the liner again.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
I suspect that it may be raccoons searching for grubs. I'm currently experiencing the same issue in the usual spot (triv area behind the house). I received my usual weekly Saturday e-mail update from my Harrell's rep at work and he mentioned current grub issues on GCs, in his scouting report.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I got a brief look at it from my camera system. Came to the front lawn at 3:30am and hung around for an hour or so. It don't think it is going for grubs because it is only attacking very thin areas that have been re-seeded. I wouldn't be shocked if it is digging for earthworms as I have tons of them based off the castings I see every day. It looked like either a racoon or a groundhog (or something like that). For sure not a squirrel, skunk, or chipmunk.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Raccoons were the culprit for me for two years. I did two things to try and combat this so not sure which one has provided the desired results, but no longer an issue for me. Helps that I have KBG and damage is temporary, but still annoying to have unsightly areas in a fall lawn.

Spring, I apply beneficial nematodes. Have seen a noticeable decrease in insects/lawn pests. Just have to apply to wet ground and water them in so I just do it during rain storm in May. I also don't have mole tunnels to deal with after this so worth the money for me.

I also now apply biosolids in the fall when the leaves start dropping heavier. Read some study done by a golf course on this and some evidence it deterred critters from digging vs control plots. I use Ecoscraps from Home Depot since it smells like Milorganite and has less phosphorus (my soil is very high P). I prefer plant based Purely Organic because it smells good, but damn if that's not a raccoon attractant so I dont use it during the fall.

As for preventing shrews or voles under your rink, you could whip up a cayenne pepper and garlic mix and apply to the ground prior to putting your tarp down. Shouldn't wash away since it's covered. I do this to keep voles and deer from eating my hostas and it works, but I have to continually apply it since it washes off. Deer repellant sprays also work, but the smell makes them unusable to me, especially around my front door. Rinse whatever you apply it with well...the powders cake up if not rinsed.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Maybe some Bay State and also a fast-release fertilizer on the bad spot by the driveway? If you have a Pro Plugger, move a few plugs with kbg in them. They may not spread too much this late in the season, but they'll root for spreading in the spring. You should have a little growing time left in the season. It looks like you have good biological activity there with the worm casts. FWIW, it's recovering nicely after the awful drought. My guess is that you're in better shape than your neighbors.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
I am happy with the recovery so far. I’ll work on the weak spots in the spring. During the absolute height of the drought the soil under those areas was powder. There was no moisture and all the roots had died so it isn’t shocking. One more round of urea tomorrow and then it’s just chopping up leaves for the rest of the year. Still have to decide if I am going to build the ice rink again.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts