Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
bosox_5 said:
Anyone know what this is? It was not scared of me at all.

It might be a vole, but I'm not sure. They're similar to a mole, but not the same. To get a better ID, you would need to see the face. My dog growing up used to have a field day with them, but they didn't enjoy it because it was usually the end of one of them when he was done.

In a later post, you mentioned HOC was 3", and you were hoping that it would it would thicken up. Has the drought recovered enough to lower to 2.5"? That and biostimulants should help. When it's grown in enough, I would suggest PGR. Using all of these really thickened my lawn up this year. Now, I just need to nuke the zoysia. I'm glad green stuff is coming back for you. I know it was rough seeing everything cooked.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Chris LI said:
It might be a vole, but I'm not sure. They're similar to a mole, but not the same. To get a better ID, you would need to see the face. My dog growing up used to have a field day with them, but they didn't enjoy it because it was usually the end of one of them when he was done.

In a later post, you mentioned HOC was 3", and you were hoping that it would it would thicken up. Has the drought recovered enough to lower to 2.5"? That and biostimulants should help. When it's grown in enough, I would suggest PGR. Using all of these really thickened my lawn up this year. Now, I just need to nuke the zoysia. I'm glad green stuff is coming back for you. I know it was rough seeing everything cooked.
My lawn is a tale of two sides. The shady(er) side on the south half, and the sunny side on the North. The South side has bounced back nicely and the overseed helped thicken up some patchy spots. The north half was a total loss. Anything coming up there is all from new seed. It is basically like I killed it off and did a total renovation. When I did the overseed, I didn't think it would be a total loss, but that's where we are now. Going to hit it with some Urea this weekend and get these new guys growing.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
I try to look at silver linings, so I think your north/sunny area will benefit with some decent cultivars. ~30% RK4 is a good thing. That's a pretty good percentage of a TTTF in your mix that I had been looking for a few years ago, when I was growing TTTF. At the time, it was a new cultivar with high NTEP ratings that Pennington was starting to put into their mixes. Now, the percentage is higher. If I remember correctly, dark green color and a finer leaf texture were great assets of RK4. I think the overall turf quality rating was quite high, too. The prg should help stabilize the soil and the kbg will help with repairability. Good luck and I hope you see lots more green babies, soon!

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
Chris LI said:
I try to look at silver linings, so I think your north/sunny area will benefit with some decent cultivars. ~30% RK4 is a good thing. That's a pretty good percentage of a TTTF in your mix that I had been looking for a few years ago, when I was growing TTTF. At the time, it was a new cultivar with high NTEP ratings that Pennington was starting to put into their mixes. Now, the percentage is higher. If I remember correctly, dark green color and a finer leaf texture were great assets of RK4. I think the overall turf quality rating was quite high, too. The prg should help stabilize the soil and the kbg will help with repairability. Good luck and I hope you see lots more green babies, soon!
Agreed

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
The north side lawn that has been coming in thin got a little spray today. There are a bunch of broadleaf weeds moving in because I skipped the tenacity at seeding step. So since we are over 30 days post germination and have had more than two mowings, I sprayed tenacity at the 5oz per acre (a little over 3ml per 1000) on the 6500 square feet on that side. In addition I added a NIS, 4oz of propiconazole (that I had leftover), and 4.5 oz per 1000 of a 15-0-0 sprayable fert (with Iron). I guess we will see if this kills the broadleaf weeds or not. If it does, that's great. If not, I'll hit it with some three way in a couple of weeks or wait until the spring. The back, front, and southern side lawn don't have the weeks moving in, so they didn't get sprayed, just hand pulling when I see them.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts