Lawn Care Forum banner
321 - 340 of 373 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Ugh. What's the difference between MossEx and other iron products?
Oh, haha it's probably just iron, but I feel like since it's a Scott's EX product, it'll work,lol
Active ingredient:
Ferrous sulfate monohydrate: 17.50%

Moss out at Lowes has 32% of the same active ingredient. Same cost as MossEx, but it's available locally instead of Amazon. I'll try that in a few spots and let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
@steffen707 I use GrubEx every year and never had a bug problem. You may be onto something.

0.3 lbs/k of N - Urea on the yard and test plots

N totals 2022:
Yard - 4.35 lbs/k (total fall 2.4 lbs)
Test plots - 1.6 lbs/k CBL; 1.3 lbs/k Prosperity

I woke up early today to spray and definitely walked on frosted grass. But then the high reached 70F.

Being lazy and skipped mowing the roughs again. I don't really like rotary mowing.
Plant Sky Nature Tree Building

This guy was creeping in the bentgrass.
Plant Grass Liquid Terrestrial plant Grassland

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
The Crystal Bluelinks is looking better everyday, although still not growing much. I'm really impressed so far. Hoping to get the 220B on it soon.

Prosperity ain't doing so hot. There is grass, but it's somewhat thin and engulfed in moss. Not even close to ready for a mow. I'm not sure if the moss is going to be a big problem. I had no issue growing grass in this area with the reno. For whatever reasons this year it's struggle city.

CBL
Green Grass Terrestrial plant Flooring Groundcover

Plant Green Road surface Grass Land lot

Plant Property Green Building Land lot

Bentgrass / mature KBG side by side
Plant Ecoregion People in nature Natural landscape Agriculture

Plant Green Leaf People in nature Natural environment

Prosperity
Plant Land lot Road surface Grass Rectangle

Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Grass Groundcover

Crystal Bluelinks Bent: 47 DAS / 43 DAG
Prosperity KBG: 47 DAS / 38 DAG

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 · (Edited)
Maybe too much shade/moisture for the Prosperity? It's way up in that corner. I love the shot of your buddy on the CBL, eyeballing you! :ROFLMAO:
He was giving me the stink eye, big time. It was his fault for landing on my leg when I was mowing. Of course I freaked out!

I'm starting to wonder if it was mostly Moonlight or Blue Velvet back in this shady section. Prosperity is not having it. The plot started with a handicap this year being that it was seeded 11 days later than the reno and was 4 year old seed, but this pout phase is just unreal.

Reno status in this area on 9/20/20 1 month after seed. It was probably the most dense spot in the whole yard. Makes no sense.
Wood Plant Rectangle Land lot Grass

Apparently this bentgrass is susceptible to major pout as well. Despite it looking great, the clipping volume is rather sad. I'd say 75% of the plot hasn't yet made contact with the mower blade. A little concerned about rust issues later on if growth doesn't pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
This morning was the first hard freeze. Hard to believe because it has been so cold the past 1-2 weeks (high around 40-45F). Nice warmup is coming. I don't see another freeze in the 14 day forecast.

I'm behind on N apps. I did mow today though. HOC is 0.65" and planning to ride out the season with the waves.
Sky Plant Green Tree Natural landscape

Plant Botany Land lot Urban design Hedge

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I love how your lawn is its own shade of green. Nobody's lawn comes close to that color. Reminds me of the 80's Disney live action Alice in Wonderland. Also, it looks like somebody just brushed a sheet of velvet. Very nice!

Hey, i was just listening to the lawn care nut, and he said "winterizer fert" should be put down just before snow in the northern climates so that in spring, after snow melts it instantly gets a boost.

I always thought you wanted the grass to intake those nutrients before the snow flies, so that the grass is ready for winter..........

What say you @bf7?

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Thanks guys!

@Wile Good tip - I'll keep that in mind. The iron seems to be turning the moss brown. I think it's working but it definitely takes some time. Maybe I could bump up the rate.
Plant Plant community Grass Groundcover Shrub

@steffen707 you compared my lawn to Alice in Wonderland last year too 😅 I always put down a heavy winterizer around Thanksgiving. I don't know if it helps or not, but I've been happy with spring green up. I do believe that the plant takes in more nutrients when actively growing (September is the key window and effectiveness decreases as the lawn shuts down). My winterizer is mostly an excuse to be out doing yard work one last time.

@ReelWILawn the wavy stripes are my fall tradition. I'm glad you enjoy.
Sky Building Cloud Plant Window

Plant Sky Building Property Cloud

Catching up on recording apps.

Test plots - 10/16 and 10/24 - 0.3 lbs N and 3 oz FeRROMEC AC
Yard - 10/24 - 0.3 lbs N and 8 oz FeRROMEC AC (back) and 2 oz FEature (front)

N totals 2022:
Yard - 4.65 lbs/k (total fall 2.7 lbs)
Test plots - 1.9 lbs/k CBL; 1.6 lbs/k Prosperity
Leaf Road surface Asphalt Flooring Grass

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
Having fun with the summer in November. This is near record breaking stuff for the northern Pittsburgh region.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Brand

Lawn is starting to shut down in sections due to lack of sunlight, but the full sun areas are still going strong.

I have a new theory as to why the test plot development is so sluggish. I think there may have been some residual prodiamine in the soil (but not enough to kill all of the seedlings). I applied in early August then attempted to break the barrier before seeding. Maybe I didn't get a clean break. That could explain why density is so much greater along the walls where my sprayer wouldn't have reached with the pre-emergent. I don't spray all the way up to house.

Can seedlings remain alive (but still struggle) in soil with small amounts of prodiamine?
Plant Vegetation Grass Hedge Groundcover

Green Plant Land lot Grass Flooring

In the Prosperity plot I'm moving plugs from along the wall, trying to salvage this experiment. It's disappointing that I might not be seeing the full potential of the grass types.

More bent
Plant Window Road surface Brick Grass

Plant Leaf Land lot Grass Flooring

HOC is 0.7"
Plant Property Window Building Sky

Plant Property Window Green Road surface

Plant Sky Tree Land lot Grass

Plant Sky Green Nature Tree

Sky Plant Property Nature Tree

Test plots - 10/30 and 11/3 - 0.3 lbs N and 3 oz FeRROMEC AC
Yard - 11/3 - 0.3 lbs N

N totals 2022:
Yard - 4.95 lbs/k (total fall 3 lbs)
Test plots - 2.5 lbs/k CBL; 2.2 lbs/k Prosperity

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
I know most people treat bentgrass as a weed, but have you ever seen a weed stripe like this? 😮
Plant Road surface Land lot Flooring Asphalt
Water Green Grass Plant Road surface
Plant Green Grass Flooring Road surface

Sadly I think my prodiamine theory may be proving itself out. The 3 month app from 8/4 is running it's course, and lo and behold, the KBG plot is starting to grow and thicken up considerably. Also noticed a higher clipping yield on the bent. We'll see how far we can push before the season closes out.
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover People in nature

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
How low are you cutting the bent at? Killer stripes man!
Thanks! Almost took a few chunks out of the concrete wall with the transport axles. That mower is a wild animal.

The bent is at 0.7", same as the rest of the yard.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Man, that’s awesome. I have never seen a weed stripe like, but have you ever seen stripes on weeeed….iykyk movie references. This will look great on your putting green next to your sand bunker 😉
:LOL: if only we could figure out a way to smoke this cultivar, I'd be in business!

If I ever get around to that green, I'm becoming more and more convinced that a surrounding bent fairway would look 👌 and no need to waste time chasing the bent out of other grass types.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
Switched up direction of mowing lines for the last time. Trying to burn these in so the old ones disappear. I like when they stick around until the spring.
Plant Green Urban design Flooring Chair

Today could be the last spoon feeding, maybe one more. Winterizer (1 lb N granular) will go down around Thanksgiving.

Strangely, I haven't pulled one weed yet this fall. Not because I don't have them. There are a few poa patches. It's part laziness / part not being bothered enough by them.

Supposed to get heavy rain in a few days and then it will get cold again.

Test plots & yard - 0.3 lbs N

N totals 2022:
Yard - 5.25 lbs/k (total fall 3.3 lbs)
Test plots - 2.8 lbs/k CBL; 2.5 lbs/k Prosperity

321 - 340 of 373 Posts