Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it's time to start updating this again.

Previous journal:
Bf7 2021 Journal - Prosperity / Moonlight SLT / Blue Velvet KBG

11/22/21 (end of last year):

2/17/22 (after ~6 weeks of snow cover):

3/22/22 (current):

Soil results:

The pH reading is concerning and doesn't make sense to me. My soil was historically acidic, and it was 6.5 last year. Did not add any lime. How does it jump 1.3 in one year? I'm hoping I just made a mistake during sampling that's throwing it off.

I want to get it re-tested, probably with a different lab to confirm before I get 10,000 lbs of AMS.

The phosphorus level is puzzling as well. It was 23 last year, and I added almost 5 lbs / k of P. Very disappointing that it barely moved at all.

Pre-em:
Yesterday I put down 0.185 oz / k of prodiamine (3 month rate). No forsythia flowers yet, but there is a good rain coming to work it in.

Test pots:

Overall, lawn looks decent coming out of winter. Waking up in sections - areas close to the house and dog toilet are green and lush. My biggest issue is bumpiness. Getting this thing leveled is going to be a grind. I'm planning to spot-sand areas on the fly during the spring.

Targeting around 2 lbs / k of N in April-May. Hoping to start mowing within the next couple of weeks.

And I got a drone so that should be fun.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Winter color retention is out of this universe. Even the mowing stripes stayed.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Green said:
Winter color retention is out of this universe. Even the mowing stripes stayed.
It's pretty cool. I've experimented with TTTF, and some of my neighbors have it. Winter color is much stronger on the KBG, IMO.

The stripes could have something to do with mowing the same pattern for a month and not stopping until middle of December. Then again, I remember them sticking around well into March last year too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I wonder how accurate these labs are? It would be interesting to take the same sample, split in half (or more) and send to multiple labs to see how close the results match. I'm going to make a thread in the fertility section and see if we can convince someone to do it.

Agree with the others, looks great coming out of winter!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vtx531 said:
I wonder how accurate these labs are? It would be interesting to take the same sample, split in half (or more) and send to multiple labs to see how close the results match. I'm going to make a thread in the fertility section and see if we can convince someone to do it.

Agree with the others, looks great coming out of winter!
Thanks! Good call - I should do that but don't want to toss another $40 at soil tests this year, ha. And I find smashing up the cores to be a PITA.

It's hard to believe that it could be the labs. But everything was the same between the two samples except the second time, I took almost twice as many cores and thoroughly scrubbed the bucket (it is plastic, not metal).

I trust the Waypoint results more for the above reasons and that the pH from Spectrum just made no sense (again, I believe my fault, not theirs) compared to every test I've done on my soil previously. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from using Spectrum.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Does look great and looks ready to go! The burned in stripes are pretty cool. I think there a lot of factors that go into testing. Like how long the soil stays wet for before testing and how long they leave it in contact. There's probably a million other reasons and ways I can mess mine up. Can't wait to try!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @Wile! I didn't realize soil moisture could impact testing. My soil is seemingly always wet.

Ps - I am thinking of trying to maintain a collar around my backyard with a manual reel or maybe a rotary this year. I love the look on your lawn and want to see the color improvement at the higher HOC.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
bf7 said:
Thanks @Wile! I didn't realize soil moisture could impact testing. My soil is seemingly always wet.

Ps - I am thinking of trying to maintain a collar around my backyard with a manual reel or maybe a rotary this year. I love the look on your lawn and want to see the color improvement at the higher HOC.
Yes sir! @Wile is going to be the trendsetter on this one. With how easy the HOC adjustment is on the Swardman I can't pass this opportunity up. Looks sharp and will help keep the mulch in place.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ABC123 yes, moonlight looks pretty darn good. All of the pots suffered from disease and/or winter kill to some extent. Hoping I can keep the remaining babies alive.

No decisions yet. If another reno is in the cards, it would likely be 2023. That is assuming one of the cultivars doesn't blow me away over the next few months.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First mow, finally! A cold / rainy start to April had been delaying things, but today hit 80F for the first time since September in my area.

The yard has been ready for a mow for at least a week. Standing water was preventing me from getting the greens mower on it. Still has not completely dried out. The grade is poor, and the soil does not drain well. Hoping more sand will help.

I started out at a HOC of 3/4", and the basket was full after 30 seconds. Much shaggier than I thought. I was cutting off too much for my liking, so I raised it to 15/16". I plan to gradually lower it.

Love the new drone :bandit:

1 - 20 of 373 Posts