Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Guys,

Thought I'd give one last update since I'm considering this project wrapped up at this point. All things considered, the project was very successful. As mentioned in a previous post, I would do some things differently in regards to the leveling of my dirt as the cultipacker is just not good enough at settling the freshly tilled dirt evenly by itself. Some of sort of drag harrow and possibly a heavy, flat roller needs to be used after tilling, with the cultipacker being the last step to make sure the clumps/sprigs have good soil contact. I plan to use a heavy roller hopefully this coming winter/spring to see if that will help, and if not I will plan on a heavy top dressing with sand or top soil in the coming years.

Even though we are still in a fairly severe drought, we have received just enough rainfall to keep it from going dormant. I've kept my sprinkler handy but have been choosing not to run it as this will be non-irrigated and dependent on rainfall from here out. In the last 2 weeks, it's only had .75" of rain but it is still looking really good. We do have great rain chances starting today and going through next week, so I'm praying that it will get some water soon so I don't have to run the sprinkler :lol: . Fill in rate has been incredible and I imagine with proper irrigation it would have filled in even faster.

Celsius/Outrider combo cleaned up most of the weeds, but I still a couple of areas with heavy goosegrass, crabgrass, and even some spurge (Celsius high rate didn't even ding the spurge). I'll probably play the long game with the goose and crab and spray with MSMA once we get a cool snap and temps get back down to 85-90 degrees, then just control it via pre-emergent for next year.

Also, if you plan to try this method, make sure you have as many extra hands as you can to help lay the sod squares. I greatly underestimated how long it would take just to throw them on the ground and also just how heavy the pallets are. I have a 64hp tractor and my front end loader wouldn't even budge the pallets. I ended up having to phone in a favor to get my father to bring over one of their 100hp tractors and even it could barely pick one up. If you don't have a means of moving the pallets, be sure to have the sod company set the pallets as close as possible to where you need them.

Pics below are 2.5 weeks post Celsius/Outrider:

· Premium Member
248 Posts
@WillyT did you think it would have worked well to run your dethatcher on the sod spaced out in the yard, spreading it around for even coverage? Or was there an advantage to power raking it apart in a central location.

@epac90, cool project! Thanks for sharing. Probably cheaper for the sod farm not to have to own/maintain a bermuda king harvester and cultipacker too.

· Registered
431 Posts
Chadwicktr said:
@WillyT did you think it would have worked well to run your dethatcher on the sod spaced out in the yard, spreading it around for even coverage? Or was there an advantage to power raking it apart in a central location.

@epac90, cool project! Thanks for sharing. Probably cheaper for the sod farm not to have to own/maintain a bermuda king harvester and cultipacker too.
TBH I never thought of this but the only downside I would think of would be the left over dirt from the sod. If not reel mowing I would try that. That method did an amazing job!

· Registered
2 Posts
This is really cool.
Question-could you do something like this for zoysia? I haven’t been able to find much about sprigging zoysia.

Issue I have is that local sod far sells both latitude 36 bermuda and innovation zoysia-but both only come in big roles no squares.
I was planning on buying their bermuda sprigs, but if I could find a way to efficiently cut the rolls of sod maybe this is the way…

· Registered
27 Posts
This is really cool.
Question-could you do something like this for zoysia? I haven’t been able to find much about sprigging zoysia.

Issue I have is that local sod far sells both latitude 36 bermuda and innovation zoysia-but both only come in big roles no squares.
I was planning on buying their bermuda sprigs, but if I could find a way to efficiently cut the rolls of sod maybe this is the way…
Is the sod rolled roots out or roots in? If its roots out you could cut the sod with an electric saw. I’m thinking a sacrificial Harbor Freight saw. You’d probably want to start where the roll meets the ground and make two or three parallel circumferential cuts, then make radial cuts to produce pieces small enough to handle easily. I think this approach would allow you to produce pieces of a manageable size and would result in a minimum of big, hard to move pieces.

· Registered
2 Posts
Is the sod rolled roots out or roots in? If its roots out you could cut the sod with an electric saw. I’m thinking a sacrificial Harbor Freight saw. You’d probably want to start where the roll meets the ground and make two or three parallel circumferential cuts, then make radial cuts to produce pieces small enough to handle easily. I think this approach would allow you to produce pieces of a manageable size and would result in a minimum of big, hard to move pieces.
interesting. I was thinking of possibly rolling the sod out (90’ long by 3.5’)-then taking my edger and cutting long strips, then going width wise and cutting into smaller chunks. That way they’re already on the ground and could use a hook or something to drag the smaller pieces for fuller coverage.

not as scientific as the OP but potentially less lifting of squares bc sod is already close to its final spot.

· Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

Thought I'd give one last update since I'm considering this project wrapped up at this point. All things considered, the project was very successful. As mentioned in a previous post, I would do some things differently in regards to the leveling of my dirt as the cultipacker is just not good enough at settling the freshly tilled dirt evenly by itself. Some of sort of drag harrow and possibly a heavy, flat roller needs to be used after tilling, with the cultipacker being the last step to make sure the clumps/sprigs have good soil contact. I plan to use a heavy roller hopefully this coming winter/spring to see if that will help, and if not I will plan on a heavy top dressing with sand or top soil in the coming years.

Even though we are still in a fairly severe drought, we have received just enough rainfall to keep it from going dormant. I've kept my sprinkler handy but have been choosing not to run it as this will be non-irrigated and dependent on rainfall from here out. In the last 2 weeks, it's only had .75" of rain but it is still looking really good. We do have great rain chances starting today and going through next week, so I'm praying that it will get some water soon so I don't have to run the sprinkler :lol: . Fill in rate has been incredible and I imagine with proper irrigation it would have filled in even faster.

Celsius/Outrider combo cleaned up most of the weeds, but I still a couple of areas with heavy goosegrass, crabgrass, and even some spurge (Celsius high rate didn't even ding the spurge). I'll probably play the long game with the goose and crab and spray with MSMA once we get a cool snap and temps get back down to 85-90 degrees, then just control it via pre-emergent for next year.

Also, if you plan to try this method, make sure you have as many extra hands as you can to help lay the sod squares. I greatly underestimated how long it would take just to throw them on the ground and also just how heavy the pallets are. I have a 64hp tractor and my front end loader wouldn't even budge the pallets. I ended up having to phone in a favor to get my father to bring over one of their 100hp tractors and even it could barely pick one up. If you don't have a means of moving the pallets, be sure to have the sod company set the pallets as close as possible to where you need them.

Pics below are 2.5 weeks post Celsius/Outrider:

Any update on how it ended up this fall? Looking to do the same thing this summer here in kansas. Thanks!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts