Lawn Care Forum banner

Bermuda grass Browning issue

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Txmx583 
#1 ·
Is my yard in need of fert? Been putting down a bad of Milo a month... Or did I just scalp it a little?? Doesn't seem very tall and it's Brown in areas... Should I scalp it again and then continue at 5/8" HOC? Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually think it could be drought stress.... I had my irrigation off for the last week or so because or Harvey, but we didn't get any rain from it... What do y'all think? I have some gaps around my retaining wall from the sod...

#5 ·
Redtenchu said:
I'd do the screwdriver test in those spots.
Cool that's what I'm thinking.. I just mowed and the clippings weren't very long... I haven't cut more than 1/3 of the lead at once... So if it goes in easy it's wet, and hard to push through it's too dry right?

#7 ·
Haha cool. The areas that are a little brown are usually really green... I think it's just drought stress... I'll aerate and water tonight... Still looks decent but not as dark green all over as normal..

#10 ·
Txmx583 said:
Haha cool. The areas that are a little brown are usually really green... I think it's just drought stress... I'll aerate and water tonight... Still looks decent but not as dark green all over as normal..

Txmx, your turf color in the thicker area looks great. What kind of mower are you using? Update your profile with the mower type :D

#11 ·
Thanks, the funny part is the brown area is my thickest part of my back yard haha. I'm using a McLane 20" reel. I'll update my profile 👍

#12 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Looks great txmx, I'm sure it just needs a good manual aeration and soaking.
What do you guys generally use for your manual aerators and how often are they used?

My lawn is actually looking the same right now, even though I am staying on top of it with a 4 - 3 - 3 -4 mowing schedule. I've had my sprinklers off for the better part of August with all the rain we have gotten in DFW over the summer.

#13 ·
DetroitRocker said:
Iriasj2009 said:
Looks great txmx, I'm sure it just needs a good manual aeration and soaking.
What do you guys generally use for your manual aerators and how often are they used?

My lawn is actually looking the same right now, even though I am staying on top of it with a 4 - 3 - 3 -4 mowing schedule. I've had my sprinklers off for the better part of August with all the rain we have gotten in DFW over the summer.
I have a pair of the aeration shoes from Amazon... They don't stay in well with the original straps, so I modified mine with zip ties.. it isn't the best system but works decent and the results are pretty good.

#15 ·
Mine is looking the exact same way here in the SDFW area. I was wondering what was going on cause I put down some Milo and have been taking care of my lawn religiously. Now that I see other people are having the same issues, I know it wasn't something that I did. However, now I'm looking at adding sand to my 3/4 lot to level it. Damn contractor that I hired gave me a horrible wavy sod laying job that I now have to remedy myself.

#16 ·
Yeah I out down more Milo and it still doesn't look great... Going to buy some Scott's lawn food and see if the higher N rate helps any...

#18 ·
slomo said:
Drop some 46-0-0 and 2 inches of water measured out in tuna cans spread across your lawn. Apply at 2lbs of nitrogen per 1k square feet. Report back in two weeks.

slomo
I don't know where I can find 46-0-0.... But I'll do some looking!! I'll let you know how it goes, Thanks

#23 ·
elm34 said:
Siteone in Keller should have some 46-0-0 too. The slight browning could also be due to the lower temperatures we're getting at night, the other morning it was 58 degrees when I left for work.
Cool thanks man, I'm just up the road in Roanoke!! I was wondering the same thing regarding temps... Hope it's not trying to go dormant already....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.