Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Thanks for posting the video!! I will use it for sure!! Where is a good place to get lapping compound? I checked pin highs website but the compound is only $6 which is cool, but the shipping is $13 lol. Is there anything on Amazon or is there a lawn equipment site with defend shipping prices?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
Txmx583 said:
Thanks for posting the video!! I will use it for sure!! Where is a good place to get lapping compound? I checked pin highs website but the compound is only $6 which is cool, but the shipping is $13 lol. Is there anything on Amazon or is there a lawn equipment site with defend shipping prices?
Here is the backlapping compound thread. There are a few sources in there. I got mine from R&R but they also got me pretty good for shipping. That's why I bought 10lbs, haha.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Txmx583 said:
Thanks for posting the video!! I will use it for sure!! Where is a good place to get lapping compound? I checked pin highs website but the compound is only $6 which is cool, but the shipping is $13 lol. Is there anything on Amazon or is there a lawn equipment site with defend shipping prices?
I'd spend the extra $$ and get the 5lb container of 120 grit. You shouldn't need to buy it again for a LONG time. Or you can get the 10lb bucket from R&R and have a lifetime supply!

Buy once, cry once!
 

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
Joined
·
12,864 Posts
Just something to consider on the grit... I think the Tru-Cut "backlapping kit" comes with 80-grit compound. Also, as I mentioned here, R&R recommends 80-grit for 7-10" diameter reels (120-grit for 3.5-5" greensmower reels).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
Ware said:
R&R recommends 80-grit for 7-10" diameter reels (120-grit for 3.5-5" greensmower reels).
Based on this I started with the 80 grit. However, I have since moved to 120 grit to do the "heavy lifting" and 180 to put a very fine edge on the unit. I think their recommendations are based more on speed. I would rather spend a little more time when I backlap and be able to wait longer before having to do it again. Zoysia is a very tough blade to cut cleanly, so that may have contributed to my issues, but with 80 grit I was having to backlap every 3 weeks. With 180 I can go 5-6.
 

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
Joined
·
12,864 Posts
Spammage said:
Ware said:
R&R recommends 80-grit for 7-10" diameter reels (120-grit for 3.5-5" greensmower reels).
Based on this I started with the 80 grit. However, I have since moved to 120 grit to do the "heavy lifting" and 180 to put a very fine edge on the unit. I think their recommendations are based more on speed. I would rather spend a little more time when I backlap and be able to wait longer before having to do it again. Zoysia is a very tough blade to cut cleanly, so that may have contributed to my issues, but with 80 grit I was having to backlap every 3 weeks. With 180 I can go 5-6.
Good to hear - I use 120 & 180 on my greensmower. :thumbup:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
trc said:
Whats the preferred technique for securing the mower when tilted back for maintenance?
I attached a 5G bucket of cat litter to the handles for this video. You can use just about anything, even a $3 bag of sand across the handles would be enough to hold a McLane. Be sure that you test it for balance before you begin, you want it firmly in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Redtenchu said:
trc said:
Whats the preferred technique for securing the mower when tilted back for maintenance?
I attached a 5G bucket of cat litter to the handles for this video. You can use just about anything, even a $3 bag of sand across the handles would be enough to hold a McLane. Be sure that you test it for balance before you begin, you want it firmly in place.
Haha ok....guess my 4x4's with grooves cut out are aligned with other makeshift solutions. Instructions in my new Cal Trimmer backlapping kit recommended and had photos of several fancy stands. :lol:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
trc said:
Haha ok....guess my 4x4's with grooves cut out are aligned with other makeshift solutions. Instructions in my new Cal Trimmer backlapping kit recommended and had photos of several fancy stands. :lol:
Some guys prop up the mower on jackstands for better access to the bedknife area. If you do that you'll need to be careful how far back you are tilting the engine, you don't want fuel or oil getting in the wrong area!

I think your 4X4s should work just fine!
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top