Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ordered the 10 pack rain guage and pkan to do an irragation audit when i get them. My question is should i just run 1 zone for 15 min, measure, then on to the next zone even though the zones overlap or should i wait to measure after both zones that overlap run giving me 30 mins run time? For example 1 and 2 cover the whole front yard.
Zone 1 is circled.

How many guages do you all recommend i put in each zone?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Definitely don't empty the gauges between the overlapping zones. I don't think you can count the total run time as 30 minutes. It'd still be 15 minutes. For example, if you get 1/4" after running zones 1 and 2 for 15 mins you'll know that you need to run each of those zones for an hour to get 1" down on the front lawn.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I'd agree that running it longer is better. An hour will give you more accurate results than 15 minutes. I think this is because you will be compounding fewer errors by using an hour instead of 15 minutes. That is, it may be harder to accurately measure 15 minutes worth but an hour will be easier to see.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
dfw_pilot said:
I'm happy to be wrong on this, but I'd agree that running it longer is better. An hour will give you more accurate results than 15 minutes. I think this is because you will be compounding fewer errors by using an hour instead of 15 minutes. That is, it may be harder to accurately measure 15 minutes worth but an hour will be easier to see.
That's my thoughts on it also DFW. The more water in the cup the easier it would be to measure. Say you run it for 15 minutes and check the cup. You have a little under .1" if you ran it for and hour that could tell you if that (little bit under) equates to .3 or closer to .4" and hour. It might not sound like a lot only being .1" but if your trying to put 1" of water down per watering you run times will be a significant amount longer.

1" @ .4"/hr= 2 hr 30 min run time.
1" @ .3"/hr= 3 hr 20 min run time.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm finally able to test this out today. We had 4 days of water conservation due to a 36" water main break and a lot of wind. I'm only doing zones 1 and 2 today. I'll have to do the other ones another day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.