Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking with the local sod farm that I purchased my Zoysia sod from a couple years ago about leveling after my bad experience with top dressing. My yard was not bumpy until I top dressed last year with sand and I apparently did a horrible job. It wasn't a major issue when i was using McLane but now I picked a GM1000 this past weekend in ATL. The GM1000 likes to bounce more than the McLane.

The local sod farm recommended renting an asphalt roller to smooth out the bumps.

How anyone tired this method?

Pros/Cons?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,864 Posts
I think there are a lot of variables to consider when deciding if this is a good idea. I can definitely see some situations where it would help, but I can also see where it wouldn't completely address low spots that need to be filled/brought up.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If so inclined, Some rental places have smaller riding rollers (e.g. northern tool in atl)...dont know the weight off hand.

Golf courses use similar right (yes, they have many more tools, resourses), on their greens? However, their requirements are likely much different.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I rented a push roller for my lawn from home Depot for like $10 a couple of years ago. You just fill it with water and push it around. Works good if after a rain or heavy watering. Only tried it once but it did help with some initial problem areas during the first year of our newly built house.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reviving this thread. My sod installer is recommending do this in a couple weeks due to the bumpy lawn after install. They put the sod in while the ground was too wet. They said they will roll with a 1,500 lb commercial roller in two weeks. Anyone ever done this with good results?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I don't think anyone here haas done it but it sounds good in theory :D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
green is king 01 said:
Reviving this thread. My sod installer is recommending do this in a couple weeks due to the bumpy lawn after install. They put the sod in while the ground was too wet. They said they will roll with a 1,500 lb commercial roller in two weeks. Anyone ever done this with good results?
Would this mess up PVC based sprinkler systems?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I can't see how since they are typically buried 6-8" under the soil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Colonel K0rn said:
I find it funny that we aerate to relieve compaction, yet we consider putting an asphalt roller on our lawn to smash down sod.
Valid point. My plan is too pull cores in high spots, roll it, then pull cores across entire yard.

I think I'd rather deal with compaction than an unlevel lawn at this point...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.