Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I follow David Melnor who manages the lawns at fenyway on Instagram. To speed up the process of snow melting they actually put down a layer of black sand as a top dressing. It's sand they would have top dressed with anyways, but they do it while the snow is still there.

Then I got his book yesturday while I was at the library with the kids. In the book another turf guy says that he puts down his lime applications before the snow melts because it takes a while for the lime to make it's way through the lawn.

Anyways I just thought it was interesting these guys are out there with broadcast spreaders on the snow. And I thought I was crazy..

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Speaking of the black sand trick, there is a golf course in Aberdeen, NC that I use to play a lot and they got Mini Verde bermuda greens a few years ago and to help them stay green and growing in the fall/winter they top dressed them with black sand in order to hold more heat in the cooler months. That course always has fast and firm greens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.