Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I cleaned up two odd rectangular concrete edged areas. I have no idea what they were there for but they both have gas lines sticking up?? Ware thought they might have been for propane at some point. My house is 82 years old so anything could be a possibility.

Anyways I plan to plant some tomatoes, bell peppers and at least one Jalapeño plant. I've been kicking around the idea for some herbs but my dad normally has an abundance. I might do some other plants, it all depends on what the nursery has when I decide to pick up the primary plants.

Here is what I found after tilling up the area today. A random assortment of items you could say:

Here are the concrete edged areas I'm talking about, this was yesterday halfway through clean up and before tilling:

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,473 Posts
Nope! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
We do tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, jalapenos and peas. This year we're dropping the jalapenos and banana peppers. Going to give spinach and radishes a try. Waiting another week before I get the garden bed soil ready. Before and after pics will follow.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have 12 tomato plants (Big Boy and San Marzano), about 22 pepper plants(Jalapeno and bell), cucumbers, bean, basil and various perennial herbs - sage, parsley, thyme, lavender, summer savory, lovage. My biggest problem is squirrels - they took 70% of my tomatoes last year. There's also a ground hog that appears at random - did you know those suckers climb just as well as squirrels even though they're so fat? I'm thinking of electrifying the fence to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used to "help" my grandfather garden way back in the day. He had a huge garden. Mostly Big Boy tomatoes, which we sold to passersby going to the nearby state fair. The excess we canned. We also did bell peppers every year and radishes one or two seasons.

I have a small raised bed I want to grow some Big Boy plants along with cherry tomato plants and maybe some other veggies, but despite "helping" when I was little I feel a little lost. Hopefully I can get the plants in next weekend if not this weekend.

·
Registered
309 Posts
New to the forum...will be posting over in the lawn portion soon, but thought I'd chime in. This is year 4 of a vegetable garden for us. Have 4 beds, each about 16' x 2.5', so about 150 sq ft total right now. Currently working on transitioning to a "biointensive" approach (close spacing of plants, working soil deeply, building organic matter of soil over time, etc. We have 10 tomatoes, 2 tomatillos, about 4 or 5 bell peppers, 2 sweet peppers, a jalapeno, about 12 okras, a bunch of lettuce and chard. Also have a bed that's a mix of cucumnbers, beans, and peas. A bunch of each of those. And then a little section of carrots that my 3 year old wanted to plant (I don't think they'll do well, but we'll see). Started everything from seed. I'll post some pictures later...gotta go out and take some.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,863 Posts
mrigney said:
New to the forum...will be posting over in the lawn portion soon, but thought I'd chime in. This is year 4 of a vegetable garden for us. Have 4 beds, each about 16' x 2.5', so about 150 sq ft total right now. Currently working on transitioning to a "biointensive" approach (close spacing of plants, working soil deeply, building organic matter of soil over time, etc. We have 10 tomatoes, 2 tomatillos, about 4 or 5 bell peppers, 2 sweet peppers, a jalapeno, about 12 okras, a bunch of lettuce and chard. Also have a bed that's a mix of cucumnbers, beans, and peas. A bunch of each of those. And then a little section of carrots that my 3 year old wanted to plant (I don't think they'll do well, but we'll see). Started everything from seed. I'll post some pictures later...gotta go out and take some.
Welcome! Anxious to see pictures! :thumbup:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I am!

I'm actually reigning it in a bit this year as things got a bit out of hand last year.

This year I've got:

* 24 silver queen corns
* 7 tomatoes (2 plum, 2 better boy, 2 sungold, 1 super sweet 100)
* 3 peppers (2 bell, 1 jalepeno)
* 2 squash (1 green zucchini, 1 yellow squash)
* 2 cucumbers (both burpless)
* 2 Italian basil
* And a yet to be determined watermelon of some sort

My perennial fruits/trees include:

* Strawberries (Rutgers Scarlet)
* Blueberries (1 blueray, 1 bluecrop)
* Rasperries (caroline)
* Apples (1 honeycrisp, 1 stayman winesap, 1 galarina)
* Nectarines (Sunglow)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Testing to see if I can get an image to post...

This is kind of the overview of the garden.

Peas on the left, cucumber on the right, green beans down at the end.

Okra up close (two kinds...Silver Queen and Bowling Red)

I know this bed looks like a mess...trying something new...spacing tomatoes a lot closer together this year...doesn't help that the plants closest to the picture (Matt's Wild Cherry, tomatillos) spread all over the place (something I learned about tomatillos). Also have Brandywine, Purple Cherokee, and Eva's Purple Ball tomatoes.

Finally, the greens. Speckled trout lettuce, some kale, rainbow chard.

So that's the overview. Still pretty early in the season here. Lettuce is probably getting close to bolting. Tomatoes aren't ready yet, though there are plenty of green ones on the vine. Jalapenos are getting close, bell pepers are still pretty small.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Veggie plants have been in the ground for a little more than a month and have really taken off. Starting to see lots of baby tomatoes, zucs and cukes. Tassels are peeking out of the corn stalks. My peppers seem really stunted and unhappy. Probably due to the extremely wet spring we've had.

Overview:

Tomatos, peppers and corn:

Cucumbers and squash:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thought I'd update on my garden. Been a bumper crop this year so far for cucumbers and green beans. Have made about 20 pints of pickles over the last week and a half....and just picked another 6# of cucumbers tonight. Tomatoes are starting to really come in, then also have okra and peas really blossoming (no pun intended). Here are a couple pictures.

Today's harvest....pretty typical day if I harvest every other day (not pictured: the okra I ate for dinner)

Bread & butter pickles

Dill pickles and dill pickle prep

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd post a picture but its getting dark so early now!

I planted three tomato plants and ho boy they are spilling out of the tomato cages. The cages cannot handle the plants. They are huge. Lots of 'maters on them, but we planted late so nothing ripe yet. We were hoping to make BLTs using some tomatoes from the garden and some Iowa sweet corn, but by the time we get some ripe tomatoes, there won't be any sweet corn left!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.