Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
I used it many moons ago but I thought they stopped making it because of the EPA banning it for some reason?

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
I think they changed the formulation or something of it. I think when I ran out of it is when I found Celsius, looking for something that would kill grassy weeds. So I call it a win!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
I used it many moons ago but I thought they stopped making it because of the EPA banning it for some reason?
They still make it, but its only legally allowed for very specific applications and very specific rules even with that. Golf courses, farms, highway medians, etc.

Needless to say, it was the only thing I know of that will wipe out some grassy weeds, so its good to have some on hand for limited spot-spraying applications.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
luderiffic said:
Hmm...I just bought 2.5 gallons of this stuff from the local co-op. Now I wonder if I should have bought Celsius instead?
Welcome to TLF! :thumbup:

It is great for grassy weeds when the temps aren't high. How big is your lawn? 2.5gal is a lot! Would they take it back if it is unopened?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2 acres. About 1.5 of them are Bermuda, the 0.5 is TTTF in the front. I purchased because my Pre-Em failed this spring and my Bermuda is covered in crabgrass and dallisgrass I think. Was going to hit it once temps get back into the 80's in the next week or so. I started this lawn from scratch last spring and its been a big project.

Thanks for the invite Ware, this forum is much more active!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
luderiffic said:
Hmm...I just bought 2.5 gallons of this stuff from the local co-op. Now I wonder if I should have bought Celsius instead?
MSMA is no longer labelled for use on home lawns, so that's another thing to consider as you ponder that question.

If you poke a hole on your lawn and stick a flag in it, does that make it a golf course? :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Okay, so the 2.5 gallon jug makes more sense. Blanket spraying could get expensive on a lawn that size, even with Celsius. Not sure what the math is on the MSMA, but just for comparison a 10oz bottle of Celsius (~$100) will cover 88.5k square feet (~2 acres) at the high rate (0.113oz per k)... the real value of pre-e is avoiding multiple blanket apps of post-e throughout the year.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I didn't mention crabgrass, but MSMA will kill it. The high app rate is 2oz/1000sf and the high app rate is usually unnecessary. I would stick closer to the 1oz/1000sf as the temps close in on 90. You can get some turf discoloration​ with it, but bermuda usually recovers within 10 days or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.