Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was decision day: mow at 0.875" and apply PGR or scalp and level. Well I couldn't stand the idea of mowing at 0.875" the rest of the season.

Picked up the sand myself for roughly $50. Got back to the house, set mower to 0.500" and scalped away.

Then I used my Scott's drop spreader as a wheelbarrow and put dollops of sand on lawn. I used a metal rake to roughly spread them out.

This is where I got...um creative. I used the wooden pallet the mower shipped on and a ratchet strap to drag it all over the lawn to level the sand. I then lightly brushed it in with push broom (careful not to mess up the level).

I put out some fert and watered in. 80% of the sand disappeared :shock:

For those of you who said this was physically draining....you were on the money. I'm absolutely exhausted! Some pics below. I'll keep pics coming as it fills in.

Hoping I didn't waste a lot of time and energy and end up with lumpy lawn!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Awesome!!! Keep us updated. Bumpier no. Perfectly smooth? Not yet, but, you're one step closer! I'm pretty sure you will be able to mow at 1/2" now. When you mow, just give the lawn a good soaking, should help keep the sand off the reel. I had to raise the HOC to .62" :roll: (I was out on vacation and couldn't mow) but I'm liking how green it's looking so I'm sticking with it. I was tempted to throw some sand but we have been getting a lot of rain and didn't want to deal with spreading wet sand. All you need now is a verticutter!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Awesome!!! Keep us updated. Bumpier no. Perfectly smooth? Not yet, but, you're one step closer! I'm pretty sure you will be able to mow at 1/2" now. When you mow, just give the lawn a good soaking, should help keep the sand off the reel. I had to raise the HOC to .62" :roll: (I was out on vacation and couldn't mow) but I'm liking how green it's looking so I'm sticking with it. I was tempted to throw some sand but we have been getting a lot of rain and didn't want to deal with spreading wet sand. All you need now is a verticutter!
That was a question I had. How and when to mow now? lol don't want to let it get 2" tall but don't want to be throwing sand everywhere.

I already have a feeling this will be first of many many leveling projects. It's worse when the previous owner didn't do anything but mow. Hard to get level, not bad to maintain.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yea this leveling process takes time but you see the benefits every time you do it. You should be able to wait at least 5 days before you have to mow, but whenever you do mow, water the lawn first until the sand is nice and wet. Should help keep the sand down. I didn't have to backlap my mower after leveling either. All I did was adjust the reel to bedknife once in a while. I think I read that you have 2.5ksqft? How much sand did you use?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
Yea this leveling process takes time but you see the benefits every time you do it. You should be able to wait at least 5 days before you have to mow, but whenever you do mow, water the lawn first until the sand is nice and wet. Should help keep the sand down. I didn't have to backlap my mower after leveling either. All I did was adjust the reel to bedknife once in a while. I think I read that you have 2.5ksqft? How much sand did you use?
I only had 1yd. After just 2/3 of front I still have some left. Going to do side yard and maybe more on front after today.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
ahartzell said:
Iriasj2009 said:
I only had 1yd. After just 2/3 of front I still have some left. Going to do side yard and maybe more on front after today.
You have a nice truck. How close were you to bottoming that thing out on the back wheel wells? I've got an older F150 that I am worried I would have issues with putting much more than 900ish lbs in. The yard is coming along nicely!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SGrabs33 said:
ahartzell said:
Iriasj2009 said:
You have a nice truck. How close were you to bottoming that thing out on the back wheel wells? I've got an older F150 that I am worried I would have issues with putting much more than 900ish lbs in. The yard is coming along nicely!
Thanks! I don't think it was even close. I parked on the road when I got home and it just looked level instead of the factory frontward tilt.

I'm just debating adding more sand. It's so hard to tell if the sand is where it's supposed to be or whether it's just laying on the lawn. 🤔

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
ahartzell said:
SGrabs33 said:
ahartzell said:
Thanks! I don't think it was even close. I parked on the road when I got home and it just looked level instead of the factory frontward tilt.

I'm just debating adding more sand. It's so hard to tell if the sand is where it's supposed to be or whether it's just laying on the lawn. 🤔
A nice rain will help decide that for you. I know I need more after my 900lbs but I dont think I have a huge sanding project in me this year. Maybe a bit more spot leveling this year and a big project next.

·
Registered
859 Posts
ahartzell said:
From what you described when you applied the sand and from what I see in the pics, I'm pretty sure you did a good job at spreading evenly. Of course, more will be needed but for now relax and you can spot level any low spots. When I scalped and leveled, I focused on covering any green that was showing indicating the low spots. I'm also using a drag mat which is real nice.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
ahartzell said:
From what you described when you applied the sand and from what I see in the pics, I'm pretty sure you did a good job at spreading evenly. Of course, more will be needed but for now relax and you can spot level any low spots. When I scalped and leveled, I focused on covering any green that was showing indicating the low spots. I'm also using a drag mat which is real nice.
That's my fear...I figured the whole thing would be brown (either scalped or green spots covered in sand) but I still have green...

·
Registered
859 Posts
So you used 1 yard of sand on2.5k sqft correct? If so, from my experience, 2 yards would had been better. But, no worries, you should be fine. If I were you, once it greens back up. I would add more sand if you're up for it. Sand would disappear much quicker vs a scalped Bermuda.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iriasj2009 said:
So you used 1 yard of sand on2.5k sqft correct? If so, from my experience, 2 yards would had been better. But, no worries, you should be fine. If I were you, once it greens back up. I would add more sand if you're up for it. Sand would disappear much quicker vs a scalped Bermuda.
So far it's 1yd on probably 1500ft (I've only done front and not side). Scalped it to 0.500" but of course it's uneven at that HOC. Just don't want all that work and near death experience to go to waste. I'm dreading the green up and mow at 0.625" resulting in scalping still :shock:

ETA: I only got 1yd because that's all that would fit in back of truck. No time to empty it and get more yesterday.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I just used MapDevelopers again to estimate. Main front is ~1400sqft and side is ~800sqft...it just doesn't look super smooth to the naked eye (and definitely not like Ware's after his major leveling)

ETA: http://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=148#p1878

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went back out and put the rest of the sand down. It looks a little better now to me. But I'm not sure how it will turn out because when I water the sand seems to disappear and doesn't look level anymore.

I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
ahartzell said:
because when I water the sand seems to disappear and doesn't look level anymore.
That's what it is supposed to do :) While you are watering, the sand is just moving around to find all of the low spots, even some you haven't noticed before.

Its going to look great, but you most likely can always use more sand.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.