Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hear me out and be gentle on me, I am not trying to spread misinformation but was unable to find anything like this either here or with a Google search.

A friend of mine ran into a guy at the local store and they began chatting about weed control. This guy has about three acres and has a 30 gallon sprayer and adds a small amount of glyphosate to his tank in addition to his normal herbicide application on his Bermuda (told him about 8oz per tank...I am unsure what strength he was using). He stated its a small enough amount to not harm the Bermuda but adds it to give it an extra kick. Says it works wonders and doesn't harm his lawn. My first impressions were it could be harmful and introduce glyphosate resistance in his yard.

What are your thoughts?

Crazy, Stupid, Wasteful.....or Brilliant?

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Seems like I a read something long ago that said glyphosate could actually even be used in very low dosage rates to help regulate growth, but I don't recall if it was a credible source. So while anything is possible, the risk just wouldn't be worth the reward for me. I haven't really haven't had anything that Celsius, Sedgehammer, and time wouldn't take care of though. When I use glypho, it's only in a non-selective capacity - e.g. bermuda creeping into a mulched bed, etc.

Interesting discussion though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My issue is that if you were supplying a small enough amount not to damage the bermuda (how much that might be is also an issue), then what would make you think you applied enough to work on the intended weed? Like Ware said, I've got a few herbicides in the garage that will take care of anything I've had or seen, so I just don't see the risk/reward argument being favorable.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
I've found it to be common around here for the early spring weed control. Even full strength glyphosate will need to be applied multiple times to completely kill Bermuda.

I remember reading about glyphosate being used as a PGR too. Not the same article, but here is some good information about glyphosate used as a PGR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.