Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently modified my GreensMaster 1000 to have an LED light bar for mowing in low light situations. I wanted this primarily for times when I am almost done mowing but it is starting to get dark. This theory is contrary to my neighbors or wife's opinion that I want to mow 3 AM. I used all aftermarket parts so I could avoid buying Toros light kit. This light kit modification does not use a battery. This is wired the same way you would wire DC lights on a snow blower. My financial goal with this project was to keep it simple and inexpensive. Otherwise why not just buy the one that Toro sells?

A member on this forum who recently embarked on a "journey back into the lawn" asked me if I would share how I made it work. This was a simple and FUN project once I was able to wrap my head around how it needed to be wired.

The parts you will need include but are not limited to:
Bridge rectifier
Fuse You will need a fuse to go with it from Autozone
LED light(s)
Diode
Capacitors 2
Switch rocker style I bought this from my local orange home improvement store
Wire 14 to 16 gauge
Connectors

There are 2 wires that come from the mower stator that produce AC current. This AC current alternates so there is not a positive or negative. The AC voltage that comes from these two stator wires need to be converted to DC voltage for the lights/circuit to work. This is done via a bridge rectifier. The bridge rectifier has 4 terminals on it. 2 AC inputs and 2 DC terminals one positive DC and other is a negative DC terminal. This DC circuit is where you will need to hook up the circuitry for the light kit.

This is a picture of the 2 yellow stator wires coming off the motor fly wheel.

The first thing to do is to convert the AC power to DC power. First take one of the AC lines from the stator and insert/install a fuse (2 or so amp) in the line before you plug it into the AC side of the bridge rectifier. Then take the other line from the stator and run that into the other AC input of the bridge rectifier.

On the + positive side of the bridge rectifier insert the diode in the line. The diode is directional and prevents current from heading back in opposite direction after it has passed through it. It prevents back flow. Think of it like a back flow preventer in a water system. This cannot be installed backwards. A simple google search will show you what side of the diode is positive and what side is negative.

The output side of the diode needs to head to 3 places within the same connection (wire nut, crimp, or soldered). This wire from the diode needs to head to both of the + positive leads from the 2 capacitors and the line in power side of a rocker switch. You can skip the switch if you want to have the lights on every time the mower is on. I wanted to be able to turn the lights on and off so I elected for the switch.

From the power out terminal on the switch you will take this wire from switch to positive + side of LED light bar or lights.
On negative wire on LED light you will run the wire to 2 places. Take it to the negative side of the 2 capacitors. From the 2 negative leads on the capacitors it also heads to the negative side of the DC side on the bridge rectifier. When you plug the last line from negative side of capacitor to negative connection on bridge rectifier it completes the circuit.

There is a ground terminal on some switches that needs to run to a ground on the mower. This is only used if you have a lighted switch. If your switch does not have a light option then the ground is not needed.

All or the majority of this wiring is stuffed into this little 3 inch outdoor electrical wiring j-box. I was not able to find a suitable enclosure that was not a lot money. I saw some good ones on Amazon but my whole goal with this project was keep it inexpensive.

I have a ragtag hand drawn diagram that I am attaching but please do not judge me on my artistic abilities. Please only judge me on my lawn abilities.

Please ask questions if you are going to attempt this project and do not understand because I am sure I am leaving something out.

On a side note

Light OFF (this is actually a real picture with my phone flash off)

LIGHT ON

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ware said:
Excellent write-up! All this thread is missing is some low light pics of said light bar! :D
LOL yeah.. I am aware. I am in the infancy stage of this years lawn season. I need a few more mows with the rotary to clean up the remnants of winter before I take my precious out onto the lawn.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
Thank You Ward!!! You're the man!! Can't wait to put this to work on my Baroness!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Did you use electrical connectors for everything(capacitors & Diodes) or did you have to solder anything?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a hybrid. See picture with the key/legend.

The soldering was a fun part of the project because it was something that I have never done.

I used crimp style connectors in places similar to these. This is not the actual ones I used but ones similar in nature.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Thank You!

·
Registered
244 Posts
wardconnor said:
Ware said:
Excellent write-up! All this thread is missing is some low light pics of said light bar! :D
LOL yeah.. I am aware. I am in the infancy stage of this years lawn season. I need a few more mows with the rotary to clean up the remnants of winter before I take my precious out onto the lawn.
Who cares if it's mowing grass. Roll that baby into the driveway after dark. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
southernguy311 said:
wardconnor said:
Ware said:
Who cares if it's mowing grass. Roll that baby into the driveway after dark. Looking forward to the pics.
+1 now I'm going to look for mounting spots on my JD

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
I bought all the stuff to wire it up just waiting for it to get here but it may be another week or two before I can get around to hooking it all up.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Is that incandescent or LED?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I added the pictures the the first post so the post is complete. Go check them out.

I feel like you are all a wild pack of hungry wolves that just want the pictures with the light. That is ok because I am happy to oblige.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.