Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Accuproducts International Accu-Gage on the recommendation of a friend. The base price is $122 at the time of this post, and I ordered it with the following configuration/options:

- 18" Standard Bar Length
- Standard Gage (0.001")
- Gage Guard (+$24.50)
- Hands Free Attachment (+$49)​

The Accu-Gage is a fantastic tool for making quick, precise changes to height-of-cut (HOC) on your reel mower. I added the optional Gage Guard to help protect the dial indicator, and I highly recommend the optional Hands Free Attachment.

The Hands Free Attachment is a magnet that attaches the Accu-Gage to the bedknife, which frees up both hands to make HOC adjustments without putting your beer down :lol: . It also works to ensure you do not flex the bar in any way while holding it it place. The Accu-Gage bar is pretty substantial, but I can read over 0.010" in deflection depending on how firmly I am pressing on the bar - even with just one finger. Is it enough to ruin the look of your cut? Probably not, but it comforts the OCD in me knowing how accurate my HOC adjustment is.

In summary, if you're looking for the most accurate way to adjust the HOC on your reel mower, this is probably it. If you're not interested in spending so much on a HOC gauge, be sure and check out the HOC Bar on a Budget - there is no shame in a cheaper HOC bar, as they also get the job done.

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Very nice Ware!! I got almost the same set up except I don't have the Gage Guard. I love my Accu-Gage and it was well worth the money spent as it allows me to dial the mower in exactly like I want it and it keeps my OCD in check!!! :) Now I got to go do a write up for the Groomer Gage!!!

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DetroitRocker said:
Hi guys - do you think the Gage Guard is necessary, nice to have, or neither. Curious since it's an extra $25!
Necessary? No.
Nice to have? Yes.

I have it on mine - it was just an insurance/peace of mind thing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't be like me. I bought the standard gage which is fine but then decided I wanted the hands free option. Called within my return window and was told they could just add it. That sounded fine with me. Had to pay shipping to get it back to them, understand, will have to pay shipping agin to get it back here. Main issue is they consider it a repair and not a replacement. I have to wait for the one person that does repairs to come back to work. They have been out sick for a week (hope they get better) but they could have just sent me another gage. Mine was still new and unused, well I used it once, but its my fault I guess for not getting the one I wanted in the first place. So, dont be like me just get the right one the first time. I asked and they told me if I had asked for a refund I would have gotten it and I could have ordered a new one that would already be here. Really? Ha.

·
Premium Member
Baroness LM56 Meyer Zoysia 0.4"
1,709 Posts
gsmornot said:
Don't be like me. I bought the standard gage which is fine but then decided I wanted the hands free option. Called within my return window and was told they could just add it. That sounded fine with me. Had to pay shipping to get it back to them, understand, will have to pay shipping agin to get it back here. Main issue is they consider it a repair and not a replacement. I have to wait for the one person that does repairs to come back to work. They have been out sick for a week (hope they get better) but they could have just sent me another gage. Mine was still new and unused, well I used it once, but its my fault I guess for not getting the one I wanted in the first place. So, dont be like me just get the right one the first time. I asked and they told me if I had asked for a refund I would have gotten it and I could have ordered a new one that would already be here. Really? Ha.
All of your trouble will be worth the hands free (magnetic) version. :thumbup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
TulsaFan said:
gsmornot said:
All of your trouble will be worth the hands free (magnetic) version. :thumbup:
Ha. Point was I should have started out with it. I thought, nah I dont need a $50 magnet but you know what, it turns out I want that option and should have read this thread before I purchased, not after. Anyhow maybe someone will read this a know to just go for the one with all the options they want.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tmank87 said:
Ware said:
Tmank87 said:
Anyone know how to get a deal or a few dollars off?
discount code
Ha. Thanks. I made one, the epoxy doesnt hold the nut very well.

Ready to step up to the majors. Going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll give me a better price.
I doubt it but if so let me know. I'm willing to get one. This is the only accurate way to go. I have a diy gauge but...

·
Registered
158 Posts
J_nick said:
Close to 4 years in on my DYI HOC bar. Do I want a Accu-Gage? Yes. Do I need one? No. I might not be able to set my HOC to the nearest .001" but I feel like that isn't a big issue. As long as I'm close to the HOC I'm measuring on the bar I'm ok. Just make sure each side of the reel is set to the same HOC.
I agree with you. I own one, but I'm sure that a nicely made DIY one would be more than sufficient. For a home lawn, I'm not sure ANYONE is gonna see what .010 looks like. Lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.