Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was cutting my front lawn a new neighbor drives up and stops to ask questions.

1 - Do you do all of your own yard work?
2 - How do you get it to look so amazing? (my yard is no where near where I want it to be)
3 - Can you give me pointers on getting my yard to look better?

His front yard is nothing but a bunch of crab grass, dalis grass, nutsedge, with a little St Aug and a little bermuda mixed in. My advice was to kill it all off, then depending on how patient he was to sod or seed. He went on to say he got one quote to have the yard sodded with bemuda to the tune of $5,000.00+. His yard is no more than 1500 sq ft. I asked what did that quote include, and the person that made the quote told him he'd have to take off approx 6" of the top soil, replace it, then sod. The person that gave the qoute told him that the soil was no good and nothing but weeds would grow in it, and in order to ensure the weeds were all gone, that was the only way to do it.

I told him if weeds could grow in it, bermuda certainly would - we have the same soil. I also told him a dose of round up several weeks before sodding would take care of the weeds, then a good pre M will keep them at bay. I got a quote of 650.00 for three pallets of Celebration delivered to my driveway a few weeks ago. I gave him the info and told him I'd be happy to help if he decided to do it himself.

His back did not have as many weeds, but had a lot of bare spots. He had a good amount of bermuda that was shooting runners all over the yard. He had recently cut a tree down. I told him that I'd level the yard and nurture with a good fertilizer regiment. Move a few plugs around kill off the weeds, and the bermuda would fill in.

All told, he could do it himself for less than a grand - as long as he is handy and willing to do the work.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Boy that landscaper was about to get paid! I ran into this problem at my home what I decided on doing was spot planting st Augustine and killing the weeds as I go. This way is taking longer than I projected, but I can see the progress.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 load of good topsoil = $400. Taking off the old soil sounds ridiculous. Spreading and grading= $300-500 $450 labor to lay 3 pallets.
Man, there's a lot of room in that quote. As long as his soil is decent , you two could knock 3 pallets out in 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
475 Posts
3 pallets of Sod = $125 - $175 ($375 - $525)
Sod delivery = $75

Six inch soil removal = no idea on price but have to figure in price of skid steer, operator and dump truck fees - I can see anyone pulling and removing 6" on a property, especially of they had irrigation but...just guessing high and say $500-$1000

Six inches of good top soil/compost = $20 - $30 per yard and and would need approx 30 yards - dump trucks carry approx 6 yards so five truck loads and $75 delivery fee per. So Approx $600 - $900 in top soil and approx $300+ delivery fees

Seems to me this project including sod, , equipment and labor this project should be closer to about $$2500- $3000

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.