Lawn Care Forum banner

30" Legacy Reel Mower

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  dmouw 
#1 ·
I was doing research on reel mowers and came across this company who makes custom 30" reel mower.
Anyone have any experience with them?
Anyone heard of these Peach tree Legacy mowers?
I couldn't even find anything on you tube.
new link
http://www.reelmowers.net/sales.php4

#9 ·
A little late to the party here but in case it helps in your decision, I bought a 25" Legacy Mower from Peachtree mower last year and have been happy with it...until I saw all the folks here an their fancy dancy greens mowers. Anyway, the Legacy is essentially a copy of the cal trimmer as Jayhawk says.. I would caution going up to the 30" model unless you have a really large, flat, and open property. The folks at Peachtree mower were great to deal with and can steer you in the right direction, if you want to go that route.

If I had it to do over again I would have put the same money or far less into a greens mower which would have a lot more adjustability, more contouring to the mild slopes in my yard (which my Legacy still struggles with), easier to maneuver and honestly would be easier to maintain down the road. The Legacy and Cal Trimmer both require a bang it with a hammer type approach to adjusting the reel to bed-knife (something that doesn't exactly instill confidence in what should be a fine grooming machine). After watching some of the adjustments shared by others on the Toro and John Deere they all look like a breeze to maintain compared with this thing.

The drive on the Legacy (same as the Trimmer) takes some getting used to as it is always engaged with the reel and you simply lower the drive roller to propel the mower forward and lift it up to stop (but it is always spinning). This causes two problems for me, the first is to get the mower moving you really need to push it by hand first up to speed before you drop the roller or you will rip the turf. (This becomes a bit of a workout for a large mower) The second issue is that if you have the drive wheel in the up position with the clutch still engaged and lift the front of the reel the mower will unexpectedly shoot forward. The good news is you don't make that mistake more than once... or maybe it was twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.