Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1213 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I sent in the soil test for 2017! The package guy said OH your back with more soil! And we talked for about 20 minutes about why I killed my lawn off last year lol

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMS said:
Today I put down 50 pounds of pelletized lime, top dressed, seeded, and watered.
Did you put down Tenacity or Scott's Starter with Weed preventer (contains mesotrione / tenacity in it)? Prevents weeds but lets the seed grow!

·
Registered
30 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
BMS said:
Today I put down 50 pounds of pelletized lime, top dressed, seeded, and watered.
Did you put down Tenacity or Scott's Starter with Weed preventer (contains mesotrione / tenacity in it)? Prevents weeds but lets the seed grow!
No, I was following the guidelines from a friend whom told me to never use any type of weed preventer while seeding, so I just used the lime as a base then the top soil to provide a fresh layer for the seed to sit in. Is this not a good approach?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is correct in general, however Tenacity is safe when seeding. The ingredient mesotrione allows grass to grow but stops weeds. AFAIK it's the only one that does. Scott's Starter with Weed Preventer has mesotrione in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
GrassDaddy said:
He is correct in general, however Tenacity is safe when seeding. The ingredient mesotrione allows grass to grow but stops weeds. AFAIK it's the only one that does. Scott's Starter with Weed Preventer has mesotrione in it.
Great info, thanks for sharing it!
Today I added a thin layer of peat moss as a top dressing. I did this because the day after I seeded and top dressed we had bad storms move through the area and dumped buckets of water on my project. Now spots are nothing but sand, where all my dressing was washed away......just insane. If not for bad luck, I'd have no luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Applied prodiamine to a portion of my lawn with backpack sprayer. Oh how I need a walk behind sprayer. Anyone have a link for the Chapin walk behind? Did 7500 out of 20k. First time ever applying in liquid form via sprayer.

Does this have to have to be watered in? I do not see rain ☔ in the foreseeable future. I can turn on/dewinterize sprinklers but would rather not just quite yet if possible.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
wardconnor said:
Applied prodiamine to a portion of my lawn with backpack sprayer. Oh how I need a walk behind sprayer. Anyone have a link for the Chapin walk behind? Did 7500 out of 20k. First time ever applying in liquid form via sprayer.

Does this have to have to be watered in? I do not see rain ☔ in the foreseeable future. I can turn on/dewinterize sprinklers but would rather not just quite yet if possible.
The Chapin model number is 97900, but I haven't seen one in stock yet. Northern Tool has a placeholder on their website for it though.

Per the label, Prodiamine should be activated with at least 0.5" of rainfall or irrigation within 14 days following application.

ETA: Here is one on Amazon for $249 shipped. The Northern Tool price is $199.99, but not sure what they charge for shipping.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
wardconnor said:

For it to do any good- Yes
Immediately- No, but most say to water it in with a 1/2" of rainfall/irrigation within 2 weeks or results will be diminished.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wardconnor said:

Have you considered the 20v chapin backpack? That thing made it a breeze to apply. I hear the push sprayer can be a bit hard to push.

1 - 20 of 1213 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.